ABFG services available

uses and applications for both macro and micro investigation

ABFG services available

Postby admin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:38 am

I suspect that many forum users are perhaps unaware that the Association runs a wide-ranging service to field mycologists. This includes a comprehensive range of stains and reagents that we send as far distant as the USA. Why are these chemicals available only to members? Legally we are not a trading company and our charitable status restricts what we can and cannot do commercially. However, no less importantly, many of the reagents used are highly toxic and we need to keep careful control on who obtains them. It is the main reason, for example, why it is difficult to obtain Melzers Reagent other than through the ABFG.

Membership for an individual is not expensive; it costs £30 annually for individual membership or £36 for family membership and brings many other benefits, including the quarterly Forayer magazine that regularly runs articles, incidentally, on the use of stains and reagents. Once you are a member, the full range of stains and reagents, from KOH to Melzers, to such 'rare' stains as Chlorazol Black E, becomes available to you.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Re: ABFG services available

Postby Si Micklewright » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi Michael,

I shall be joining the ABFG soon as the bank send me a new cheque book and I have also ordered a copy of your book.

My question is on making up a solution of KOH.

I have some KOH in crystal flakes, how do I make a percenatge solution and what percentage solution should I be using?

Thank you

Simon.
Si Micklewright

Postby Ian Knox » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:52 am

Make it up 10% with deionised water (tap water is no good).

MJ
Ian Knox
Forum moderator
Ian Knox
Forum moderator

Postby Si Micklewright » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:03 pm

So would that be 10g in 90ml of deionised water?
Si Micklewright

Postby admin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:58 am

Sorry - missed your replay. 10gm in 90ml or 10gm in 100ml. It's not that critical.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby Andreas Gminder » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Hello,

I would recommend for KOH a weak and a strong solution.
The weak solution is for use in microscopical preparations and 2%-3% is enough, may be 5% if you like to. The stronger it is, the more damage it will cause when coming in contact with the lens of your objectives.
The strong solutions should have at least 20%, better 30%, the Cortinariologists like it even with 40% and is for macroscopical reactions, above all in Cortinarius.
To me a 10% solution seems neither the best for micro- nor for macroscopical investigations.

best regards,
Andreas
Andreas Gminder

Postby Si Micklewright » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 pm

Interesting, thanks.
Si Micklewright

Return to Chemicals, stains and reagents