Exceptional year for Craterellus species in SE England

Moderator: Ian Knox

Exceptional year for Craterellus species in SE England

Postby GeoffDann » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Is it like this elsewhere in the country?

I am finding enormous quantities of Craterellus cornucopioides, Pseudocraterellus sinuosus (which should be a Craterellus, surely) fruiting abundantly in all sorts of new (to me) places, C. tubaeformis fruiting early, and now these...
Attachments
cinsm.jpg
GeoffDann

Re: Exceptional year for Craterellus species in SE England

Postby Roy Betts » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:51 am

Hi Geoff,
Rarely see these things in this part of the world: eg: have only ever seen C. tubaefomis in the New Forest and in Northumberland!
Actually, it's gone very quiet around here these last few weeks despite the frequent showers.
Roy Betts

Postby GeoffDann » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Roy Betts wrote:Hi Geoff,
Rarely see these things in this part of the world: eg: have only ever seen C. tubaefomis in the New Forest and in Northumberland!
Actually, it's gone very quiet around here these last few weeks despite the frequent showers.

It has gone a bit quiet for a lot of things round here also (Amanita, Russula, Agaricus, boletes). Apart from Craterellus, I am finding various members of the Tricholomataceae in decent numbers and other members of the Cantherellales.

I've never previously seen C. cinereus myself before either, BTW. What I found that day within a square of woodland 100mx100m you might not believe. Especially given that this was September 3rd.
GeoffDann

Postby Mal Greaves » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:35 am

I spend a lot of time in the woods of North Yorkshire but other than a few Cibarius I have never seen any of the others species in the group.
Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby GeoffDann » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:29 am

Mal Greaves wrote:I spend a lot of time in the woods of North Yorkshire but other than a few Cibarius I have never seen any of the others species in the group.
Mal

How much of those woods are beech?
GeoffDann

Postby Mal Greaves » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi Geoff
A good number are mixed deciduous with beech often a majority.
Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Roy Miller » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:30 am

Well, I can't say I have found many Craterellus species this year, though I am not looking in my frequent patches where I know they exist. Though lots of Chanterelle finds, and nice size ones at that. What I have found in a new location is plenty of both the Wood and Terracotta Hedgehog fungi (particularly the latter one).

I don't usually take too much attention to the edibles, but when they are so frequent you cannot help but see them.

Roy M
Roy Miller

Return to General discussion