The season thus far...

Moderator: Ian Knox

The season thus far...

Postby Dave H-Tranter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:09 am

So, how are people finding the season thus far. Have you been hindered by the dry conditions, are certain species just not showing or are some having a boom time - always curious to know. This end has been a hard slog but in the midst of it all some nice finds have been had. Total finds on foray lists this year have 66, 66, 55, 105, 59, 129, 32, 81, 58, 52, 60, 89, 94, 57, and 43 respectively. Up and down and even the ones that went over the 100 barrier there seemed to be little as regards numbers, strange. As always the fungal season continues to be unpredictable but isn't that one of the charms of what we do. In some ways, the fewer we find means less time dabbling with the microscope and recording species which certainly gives me a bit of room to take stock. Good luck to all with the rest of the season by the way - you just never know what's around the corner.

All the best

Fungalpunk Dave
Dave H-Tranter

Re: The season thus far...

Postby GeoffDann » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Been a bit of an odd one. We've actually had quite a bit of rain down in the deepest south-east, but to look at the fungi around at the moment you'd think it hadn't rained in weeks.

There were plenty of Russulas and large boletes around in late August to mid-September, and the best year for C. cibarius I can remember. I also found quite a lot of Agaricus silvicola - a species I don't usually see that much. Then we had that warm, dry period and everything stopped fruiting, and it hasn't really recovered. Well...Craterellus tubaeformis is doing well in some places, and there's was tons of A. mellea a couple of weeks ago, but right now there's almost nothing else. The only Amanita I've seen in the last three weeks was one A. citrina. No rubescens, no muscaria. No Lactarius, no Russula, no Agaricus, very few boletes, very few Lepista, not many Mycenas. A few waxcaps coming through in places and I came across some Liberty Caps this morning.

The question I'm asking myself is whether it is going to continue to be rubbish for the rest of this autumn, or whether there is going to be a spectacular recovery starting, presumably, quite soon.
GeoffDann

Postby Leif Goodwin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:10 pm

I can but echo Geoff's experiences. There were some large agarics and boletes in early September, and then it pretty much dried up despite the heavy rains in late september, I assume it was too warm. Now that it is wet and cooler, the trees are losing their leaves which I think indicates the last part of autumn, so I don't expect to see lots of large agarics this year. I have made a few nice finds such as Russula alnetorum, and Boletus legaliae. It has been a bit disappointing. Oh well.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby GeoffDann » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:05 pm

Warmest November day ever recorded in the UK and no sign of a drop in temperatures on the long term weather forecast.

Although I've had reports of large boletes beginning to fruit again in Lancashire.
GeoffDann

Return to General discussion