Polyporus brumalis in Roger Phillips

Moderator: Ian Knox

Polyporus brumalis in Roger Phillips

Postby Steve Clements » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:45 am

Hi,
I’m Steve and I survey around Sheffield and the Peak District. We’re doing a long-term National Trust Volunteer survey of the Longshaw Estate in the Peak Park.
Here is what we are happy to name as Polyporus brumalis - Winter Polypore, found on Thursday. We checked it carefully as two separate finds had some red colour at the stem base - this is probably not significant. We separated it from P. ciliatus (Fringed Polypore) basically on the number of pores/mm, as well as it's summer-fruiting habit. P. ciliatus has about 6 pores/mm, P. brumalis has about 2/mm. In Phillips (2006) he has changed the name from P. ciliatus to P. brumalis, but still has the number of pores as 4-6/mm.
Wonder how many people this has confused?
Steve
1 Field.JPG
Field photo

2 Field.JPG
Field photo

3 Pores.JPG
Pores with mm scale

4 Spores.jpg
Spores agree with Phillips
Steve Clements

Re: Polyporus brumalis in Roger Phillips

Postby Mal Greaves » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:48 am

Just goes to show you cannot rely on any one book even some of the best.
Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Steve Clements » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Phillips is still a fantastic resource and "he who never made a mistake never made anything!".
The Buczacki Collins book gets a bit of stick but I use it all the time because it's got so much in it - same as Peter Thompson's Ascos in Colour. We'd be stuck without them.
Cheers,
Steve
Steve Clements

Postby Mal Greaves » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:03 pm

I have yet to hear a mycologist say "this is the perfect book". I use Phillips all the time along with Peters Asco and FOS and Collins and Ellis and Ellis and Robichi for Mycena and all Geoffrey Kibbys series and ...........
Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Leif Goodwin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:20 am

I was not sure what you meant, but you are right, the same photos are used, but relate to different species in the two books! Presumably Phillips considered it a mis-ID in the first book. Apparently a lot of the specimens have been examined by mycologists hence the book is probably one of the most reliable general guides out there. I have only found P ciliatus once:

http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Polyporus%20ciliatus.html

The snake skin pattern on the stem is quite distinctive, as is the pale cap colour, and felty cap surface. I think ciliatus refers to the ciliate or finely hairy cap margin which can be seen in some photos. P brumalis is fairly common in beech woods in my experience. It lacks the felty cap surface and ciliate cap margin.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Return to General discussion