Strange start to the season

Moderator: Ian Knox

Strange start to the season

Postby GeoffDann » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:24 pm

Just been out for three hours and apart from very small stuff found:

1 brown rollrim, 1 matt bolete, 1 deathcap, 1 false deathcap, 1 blusher, 1 saffron bolete, 1 beefsteak, a pair of spindleshanks, 2 olive brittlegills (in different places), 2 dog stinkhorns, 1 common puffball...

It is like everyting is putting up a single token fruit body, but otherwise not playing ball. Perhaps the temperature is still too high.
GeoffDann

Re: Strange start to the season

Postby Mal Greaves » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Geoff
I went to one of my local patches over the last few days and had probably the best foraying I have ever had. Excuse the non-uptodate names. B edulis just one or two. B queletii half a dozen, B impolitus just the one B radicans probably 50, B luridiformis couple of dozen, X engelii X chrysenteron X cisalpinus, X porosporus X rubellus one or two of each and a small patch of what I now believe to be X moravicus smelling of coconut. Then there was Amanita francettii a new one for me a dried up Piptoporus quercinus on a fallen log an unknown Geastrum a Death Cap new for the site and Scutellina cepjii. I missed the partridge in a pear tree but I did find a feather about 18" long ;)
Mal
Ps and don't tell anyone but at another site I collected enough B edulis to see me through until next season :oops:
P9080814a.jpg
Boletus moravicus

P9080815a.jpg

P9080789a.jpg
Boletus queletii
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby GeoffDann » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Yeah I have noticed lots of posts from people up north - clearly there is something different going on there. Hopefully when the temperature drops it will be a good year down south too, but at the moment there's almost nothing.
GeoffDann

Postby Roy Miller » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:57 pm

Well Geoff, things are beginning to happen here down south (at long last).
Roy Miller

Postby GeoffDann » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:45 am

Roy Miller wrote:Well Geoff, things are beginning to happen here down south (at long last).

Beginning, sort of. Still an awful lot of things missing entirely. I think it is down to soil moisture content. The rain we had a week or so has made a difference, but not a huge difference.
GeoffDann

Postby Leif Goodwin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:03 am

Roy Miller wrote:Well Geoff, things are beginning to happen here down south (at long last).

Not a lot in Hampshire, small Leccinum crocipodium and Boletus aereus were appearing last week, along with some wood munchers such as Grifola frondosa. It is still quite warm, although the recent mornings have been dewy and cool.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby Leif Goodwin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:00 pm

I am tempted to state that the season is kicking off, but I've seen too many false starts. I was in the New Forest for a 10km run today, followed by a forage, and I found lots of Entoloma sinuatum, lots of field mushrooms, quite a few of what I suspect are Inonotus cuticularis, some Leccinum aurantiacum and various other boletes including some very nice Boletus aereus missed by a pair of mushroom collectors. There were also assorted Inocybe and some Hygrocybe conica. But a prolonged warm period could kill it off.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby GeoffDann » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:43 pm

I spent the weekend leading mushroom walks at Parham House autumn fair. Tons of beefsteaks, a COTW, some parasols coming through, a few deathcaps, one destroying angel....not much else. Oh...and loads of Deceiving Boletes. Seems to be a good year for those. Chanterelles just starting too (elsewhere in Sussex, not Parham).
GeoffDann

Postby GeoffDann » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:55 pm

Leif Goodwin wrote:I am tempted to state that the season is kicking off, but I've seen too many false starts. I was in the New Forest for a 10km run today, followed by a forage, and I found lots of Entoloma sinuatum, lots of field mushrooms, quite a few of what I suspect are Inonotus cuticularis, some Leccinum aurantiacum and various other boletes including some very nice Boletus aereus missed by a pair of mushroom collectors. There were also assorted Inocybe and some Hygrocybe conica. But a prolonged warm period could kill it off.

Not a false start. Loads coming through now. This morning's session produced bay boletes, penny buns, chanterelles, beefsteaks, plenty of brown birch boletes, parasols, horse mushrooms, a wide variety of russulas and several sorts of Amanita including some rare ones, chicken of the woods, white-laced shanks, spindle shanks, spotted toughshanks and quite a lot of other things also. I’ve also had reports of giant puffballs just coming through.
GeoffDann

Postby Mal Greaves » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:51 pm

I went to Duncombe Park a couple of days ago and almost nothing. The dozen or so giant puff balls were all "gone over". It obviously varies from county to county.Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Next

Return to General discussion