Conservation tips?

Conservation tips?

Postby Dave Shorten » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:55 pm

I've just last autumn discovered two separate locations for Chlorencoelia versiformis in the same woodland site, on rotting-down log-piles of stacked timber put there some years ago as general 'habitat' material to encourage other wildlife. The site warden and volunteer work party are very proud of their BAP-fungus and want to maintain it. One of the log-piles may be Sycamore felled about 20 years ago, but Breitenbach & Kranzlin does not list this as a known host substrate. The woodland volunteers want to amass new log-piles close to the existing ones, and I have suggested either topping up the old piles with fresh wood and/or transferring old wood to new log-piles. Any suggestions for practical conservation of the species? Has anyone ever done anything like this before with other BAP species?
dave Shorten
Dave Shorten

Re: Conservation tips?

Postby Neil » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi Dave,

As you have discovered, B&K do not have Sycamore listed as a host, neither do Ellis & Ellis.
I'm wondering if you are correct in thinking it is Sycamore as surely, after 20 years, it would practically have rotted away by now - I would play safe and if Quercus, Fraxinus, and Salix are present in the near vicinity, I would add these to the log pile, but it will have to be hit and miss.

Two years ago, I found Scytinostoma portentosum (Mothball Crust) a Red Data species, on Salix, and placed this lone 6inch diameter branch with other live and dead Salix nearby in the hope of keeping it going. I've no idea if it will work but I must admit there seems to be very little written on how best to keep the succession going with a rare species.

Surely other people out there have tried doing their bit for nature, and what about you Mr/Mrs Natural England, any suggestions ? Perhaps even, we could be causing a detrimental effect, but anything must be worth a try.

Neil Mahler.
Neil

Postby David Edington » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:54 pm

I brought home a branch sporting non-BAP/not-so-rare P. tuberaster last year but the slugs in the garden made short work of the fruiting body and I await patiently for any developments this year. (By the way and for future reference Neil, as introduced in one of your earlier threads, the member 'Natural England' is actually Pete Stevens, an Ecologist coordinating fungi work for their organization.)

Cheers
David
David Edington

Postby Neil » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm aware of that David, but I'm sure there are others from Natural England who look at this Forum from time to time (well at least I hope so) who may have something to add.
There is always the danger that interfering with a log pile could do more harm than good and this is where Natural England or someone with more experience could offer some valuable constructive advice.

But surely Dave (Shorten), this being a BAP species, it is automatically a Wiltshire COUNTY BAP species and there must be a lead partner here somewhere who takes on responsibility for the county, (unless of course it is you), and therefore an action plan must have been drawn up. If this is the case, is it wise to do anything without the lead partners knowing ? I'm sure it's all above board, but could you clarify this please.

Neil.
Neil

Postby Neil » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:20 pm

I seem to have killed this thread somehow - probably with some idiotic statement, so I decided to do a bit of investigating and typed in Wiltshire Biodiversity Action Plan to see who is involved, and to my surprise no fungi are on the BAP list, just mammals.

Is this normal for some (or most ?) counties not to have some BAP species on their county BAP list ? Perhaps the web page I looked at is not up to date or Chlorencoelia versiformis has only recently been discovered in Wiltshire.

Can anyone explain ?

Neil.

Edit. Dave, I just noticed you run the Cotswold Fungus Group which covers N. Wilts & Gloucestershire, so I typed in the BAP for Gloucestershire as well and a much better list came up including 2 fungal species, but sadly still no mention of Chlorencoelia versiformis.

Neil.
Neil

Return to Chlorencoelia versiformis