Re: Oak Polypore

Re: Oak Polypore

Postby Neil » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:05 am

Keep an eye on these Polypores, as when I discovered a new site for this in 2006, not one bracket has survived long enough to produce spores.
In 2006, I found 2 'fruiting bodies' on a dead trunk, the biggest was eaten, probably by a deer, before I could show anybody. I surrounded the trunk with brushwood to keep the deer away and luckily it re-grew.
Meanwhile, the smaller one never grew anymore and just shrivelled up. About 4 weeks later, just before the remaining Polypore was about ready to sporulate, something had knocked it off and I found it on the ground.
In 2007, no Polypores were found. In 2008, 2 Polypores were found on the same trunk in the same position with the 'stump' of an eaten one in a new position. I believe this one was eaten by slugs before it had a chance to form a bracket and it never re-grew. The 2 remaining Polypores just 'gave up' and shrivelled. I also found 3 eaten stumps (slugs again ?) on another dead Oak log. Believing it may have been the deer again, I covered them with bracken to see if they would recover, but when I returned and pulled the bracken away, there were 4 slugs munching away (ironically, probably aided by the bracken covering)

This year, 2009, 6 Polypores of various stages attempted to grow on the same original dead trunk, and whilst I seem to have succeeded in keeping the deer away, there seems nothing I can do to prevent them drying up or to keep slugs away, furthermore, looking at broken small fragments of Oak Polypore around one of the brackets seems to indicate mice or a squirrel has now found these brackets to their liking.

Is this a serious problem nationally ? It would be interesting to know if other parts of Britain suffer this same problem and to see if there is any solution.
Strangely, the main wood in Suffolk where Oak Poly has it's stronghold, does not appear to have these problems and I have seen many Oak Poly's within deer height growing to maturity on standing Oaks and branches on the ground - even though many deer are present.
Neil.
Neil

Return to Piptoporus quercinus