Recent collections

Recent collections

Postby David Edington » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:01 pm

Originally 2 found by Leif Goodwin in Minley Wood, Hants (VC12) on 20 October 2009 and further 8 specimens discover in the same location by John Parsons when he and I revisted in the company of Leif the next day.

There are previous records in the past few years from nearby at Starve Acre, Hawley Common and further local sightings were also reported recently this year at Pondtail, Fleet.

So seemingly a relatively common species locally here in north east Hampshire ;)

David
David Edington

Re: Recent collections

Postby Leif Goodwin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:11 pm

It does seem more common that once thought, though I have only ever seen it once. It might be a case of specific habitat requirements. The ones we saw were in long grass with young Pine, in what seems to be a fairly damp area, though not boggy. I find most spine fungi including Sarcodon scabrosus on mossy banks, usually at the side of roads. This species seem different in that respect. It is said to favour sandy soil, which is common down here.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby David Edington » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:29 pm

No sooner had I posted than another Mushketeer, Garry Rickard reported multiple fbs this year near the Eelmoor MOD vehicle test track, Aldershot and the SSSI within QinetiQ at Farnborough. It does seem to favour the Bagshot sands of this area.
David Edington

Postby Mark Pragnell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:36 pm

My finds of what I am almost certain is S.squamosus was found at about the most westerly deposits of Eocine sand and gravels of which the bagshot is a part. Collected from original land surface in what was an extraction quarry thats has been left unworked for probably 60+ years. Near to Crossways Dorchester Dorset. Unfortunatly I failed to taste and and record section of specimen. I now know better.
Mark Pragnell

Return to Sarcodon squamosus