Fungal Freaks

Posts about the ABFG's in-house magazine

Fungal Freaks

Postby David Edington » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:05 am

Re - Page 6 (Winter 2008), I believe the phenomena illustrated is the teratological form of fungi growth

Teratological form of Tubaria

Further examples can be seen effecting Laccaria, Tubaria and Clitocybe. (Apparently the sparassoid form of certain Pezizas are quite spectacular and probably explains why I first thought I had found miniature 'Cauliflowers'):

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/fungi-forums/46712-teratologic-forms-morel-like-growth.html

David
Last edited by David Edington on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Edington

Re: Fungal Freaks

Postby admin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks for this David. By coincidence yesterday, Tuesday, Di Bateman of the Worcestershire group telephoned about the mystery fruit body featured on page 6 of the winter 2008 issue of the Forayer. This has been recorded before in her area and is apparently a freak form of Laccaria laccata wherein the cap and lamellae have become reversed in position i.e. the gills are now waving about in the air and the cap, or what remains of it, is concealed beneath, still arising directly from the stipe but disorientated.

Freak Laccaria laccata.jpg
Freak Laccaria laccata.jpg (34.17 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

Michael Jordan
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Return to Forayer articles