Magazine Material

Posts about the ABFG's in-house magazine

Magazine Material

Postby David Edington » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 am

Though not covered, as far as I can see, by the T&C's of this Forum, I am sure it has not escaped Michael's attention that, for the benefit of The Forayer's readership, these forums are likely to throw up a treasure trove, by way of both new and follow-up matter for possible inclusion in future editions, and and I for one am happy to agree to the use of any, or part, of my postings and images to be used in this manner.

David
David Edington

Re: Magazine Material

Postby admin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:44 am

This is more or less what I had anticipated, David, and thanks for making this point. It is, I guess, a quirk of our natures that we will speedily contribute to an Internet forum but hesitate before sending the same contribution for publication in a 'hard copy' magazine. I do hope to transfer some of the more interesting material into the Forayer in due course. A conventional magazine has its own values. Most people keep the back issues as a valuable reference archive (Pendleside Books does a lovely year binder for the Forayer) but Internet material can easily get lost and is not necessarily stored for posterity in quite the same way.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby David Edington » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:22 pm

Guilty as charged; being an avid contributor to various on-line communities connected with fungi, I have occasionally indicated to you that a piece of mine might be worth 'lifting'. Especially realizing, despite the availability of any search facility, just how ephemeral a wealth of information on a forum like this can be.

An adjunct to this brings into question the inserting/attaching/linking of images into the forums (which may subsequently be used in The Forayer): So far, through trial and error, I have determined that 750 pixels width is the optimum dimension for a pic in a thread, but this may or may not be suitable for good hard copy reproduction, whilst at the same time it is using a lot of your bandwidth when appearing at that size. A solution to this elsewhere is the incorporation of a thumbnail within the thread posting which links to a full resolution image in a remote site Gallery. You'll have to consult the IT whizz kids behind the scenes on how this is accomplished.

Just a thought

David

P.S. When you find the answer to the image question please pass it on as I am having the same problem on the Mushketeers website :?
David Edington

Postby admin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks David. The image size issue is one that I know we need to resolve sooner rather than later and, yes, the whizz kids are being consulted!

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby Leif Goodwin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:22 pm

One question I have is that if an image is uploaded to this site, what happens to the copyright? IMO the forum member should retain sole copyright to the image, unless they explicitly state otherwise.

I will explain why. I do not use the WAB forums as their terms and conditions automatically give them copyright to any uploaded image and hence the right to do anything they like with uploaded images, including selling them and keeping the proceeds. IMO that is unacceptable. They also prevent links to images elsewhere to make sure that images have to be posted into the forum and hence they can grab them. What really irks me is that were WAb to provide an image to some body such as a wild life trust, WAB would probably not even pass on the name of the photographer. The wildlife trust would then credit WAB. :x

Anyway, enough ranting! I think I have made my point. Images posted to this forum could benefit everyone, but please do not take copyright. :D
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby admin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Leif, you are absolutely correct on this point. Any images posted to the site remain strictly under the copyright of their owners and I do recommend that users send in low resolution images to minimise unwarranted copying. I will add the caveat into the intro page.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby Leif Goodwin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:15 pm

admin wrote:Leif, you are absolutely correct on this point. Any images posted to the site remain strictly under the copyright of their owners and I do recommend that users send in low resolution images to minimise unwarranted copying. I will add the caveat into the intro page.

MJ

Many thanks. Leif
Leif Goodwin

Postby jonathan need » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi,

Just to say that if i can help or contribute to the magazine either by images or info. then i am more than happy to help.

Jon.
jonathan need

Postby admin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 am

Jon

As a valued organiser for a new ABFG group, any material that you choose to contribute to the Forayer becomes significant and will be very welcome. The subject matter is really down to you. What interests you? What do you want to know more about? What have you found this year that would perhaps interest other readers like you? You receive the Forayer so you know that it contains a wide range of material to suit all levels of interest. What, as editor, I try to keep to a minimum is what I call the 'anecdotal ramble' through long lists of 'what was found today'. It's better to have articles that are more focused, but that doesn't mean they have to more high-brow. And I do not dictate, nor would I wish to dictate what goes into the magazine beyond certain generalities.

One hypothetical example. You, I know, have a wealth of experience of a certain common in West Sussex. That location is very productive of fungi. Why? What makes it a site that constitutes an Important Fungus Area? How do you monitor it? With what regularity?

Go to it!

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby davidharries » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Dear all,

The Spring 2010 Forayer (p. 19) asks for thoughts on filling the back page and the use of colour pages. I offer a couple observations....

How about making the Stains and Reagents page black-ink only (it doesn't need to be coloured) and moving it to the back page? This way a rather valuable reference will always be readily accessible, and release an inner page for articles with (or without) colour printing.

Another thought - would it be feasible to reserve the centre pages (4 sides) for keys (again, these need not be coloured). Regular name changes probably mean that it would be helpful for some earlier keys to be updated and reissued. By placing them at the centre they are easily removed for filing or copying without damaging the rest of the Forayer.

Best regards.....David Harries.
davidharries

Next

Return to Forayer articles