Beginners Questions

Re: Beginners Questions

Postby Andreas Gminder » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:16 am

Hello,

Stuart Bates wrote:Truffled Liver Sausage eh? Sounds very interesting indeed.... I shall have to ask Mr. Mettricks (my local butcher) if he would have a go at making some.... Then I can sample both the flavour AND the microscopic details of the truffle (because it's the only way I will be able to find one!!) :D

Usually they don't make that their own, but have it in the sales offer and buy it somewhere else.

Don't think that you taste the flavour of the truffle in these sausages. May be those suasgaes taste nice and may be even different from the non-truffeled ones. But in the latter case, the taste originates from "nature-identical aroma". The truffle itself - except Tuber melanosporum or Tuber album - don't give a real taste. I tried several times to do whatever to Tuber aestivum to recieve even a slight taste from it - no chance. This truffle really tastes nothing. When it is ripe. When it is not ripe, it taste ugly like unripe maple nuts. But never think, you can scrab Tuber aestivum over your pasta and have a deliciouse meal - except you push a little bit with some synthetic "truffle oil" :mrgreen:

best rergards,
Andreas
Andreas Gminder

Postby Stuart Bates » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for the advice on the flavour of truffles... It will come in handy if I ever find one (IF being the key word in that phrase!!) :lol:
Stuart Bates

Postby Andreas Gminder » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi,

if you live in the south of England, in a calcareous area, you should have not too much problems in finding Tuber aestivum with the years. If you don't live in a warm area on calcareous soil: Move. :mrgreen:

best regards,
Andreas
Andreas Gminder

Postby Stuart Bates » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:27 pm

I live "up north" on the border of the Peak District... Lots of moorland and acidic soil conditions. The weather is mostly cold and wet!! 8-)

I won't hold my breath in anticipation of finding any truffles... I haven't even attempted to find any because it would only lead to failure. :lol:
Stuart Bates

Previous

Return to Microscopy