Obtaining a clear image

Re: Obtaining a clear image

Postby Stuart Bates » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:45 am

Mal Greaves wrote:Stuart
That's better, I would be happy with those shots.Did you do anything different on the setup?
Mal

As a matter of fact I did... I placed a drop of water onto the spores before the coverslip, which is something that I probably should have been doing all along but never realised!! :?
Stuart Bates

Postby Mal Greaves » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:35 am

Stuart Bates wrote:
Mal Greaves wrote:Stuart
That's better, I would be happy with those shots.Did you do anything different on the setup?
Mal

As a matter of fact I did... I placed a drop of water onto the spores before the coverslip, which is something that I probably should have been doing all along but never realised!! :?

Oops. You almost always get a better view if the spores or whatever are mounted in something ;)
Happy hunting now.

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Stuart Bates » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi Mal

Thanks for letting me know... I thought I'd give it a go after reading some "slide preparation" guidelines online somewhere. It seemed to make a world of difference!!

Hopefully from now on I will get some decent images.

I do have a question about staining though... Is it best to use a drop of stain as the mountant or should the stain be applied after the slide has been prepared (using the "paper towel" technique which I can never seem to get to work!!) :lol:

Thanks

Stuart
Stuart Bates

Postby Mal Greaves » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am

Stuart Bates wrote:
I do have a question about staining though... Is it best to use a drop of stain as the mountant or should the stain be applied after the slide has been prepared (using the "paper towel" technique which I can never seem to get to work!!) :lol:

Thanks

Stuart

I have the same problem with the paper towel technique :roll: With the staining it depends on what you are trying to achieve and which stain you are using. often you can see perfectly well with the stain being used as the mountant. This is especially true of Meltzers and Lactophenon Cotton Blue. With something like Congo Red it can be ok but you get a better view if the stain is flushed with water so it is only the stained elements of the specimen showing up against a clear background.
One thing to remember is that some of these stains will distort the size and/or shape of the spores so for measurement I would always recommend water. LCB makes many of the Scutellinia spores collapse but is essential for showing the ornamentation but Meltzers on Lactarius spores seem to have very little effect.

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Stuart Bates » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:24 am

Hi Mal I use Lactophenol Cotton Blue for staining, I don't actually have any Congo Red. The paper towel technique never seems to work for me, it either fails to draw the stain under the coverslip OR the stain is so diluted it fails to show on the specimen!! :?

I have used a drop of LCB as the mountant and found that it was a lot more effective but I have never actually used it when viewing spores.

Thanks for answering my question. :D
Stuart Bates

Previous

Return to Microscopy