Hi all

Re: Hi all

Postby Andreas Gminder » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello,

may be important to say, that when you use the 100x objective with the immersion oil, that you should not switch back to the 40x objective again. Once there is oil on the cover-slip, you can not use this preparation for another objective any more.
What concerns the size of the tissue you want to watch, my microscope teacher once said "if you can see the piece of tissue you have taken, then it is too big" :mrgreen:
For first steps there are some groups of fungi which are more easily to prepare then others. So I would advice to start with a cup fungus, because there you only have to pick a little piece of the surface with a needle, put it in a drop of water and squash it slightyl with the cover-slip. The cup fungi are usually some kind of waxy and therefore it is easy to pick only a little piece. When you want to start looking at gill fungi, you have easier doing with the brown or black spored fungi. Inkcaps are e.g. easily to look at, also Inocybe give interesting details without needing to prepare complicat cuts. Just pick a little bit from the gill including the gill edge and you will see different things as spores and cystidia. In the white spored agarics the spores are less easily seen and very often they don't have cystidia.

best regards,
Andreas
Andreas Gminder

Postby jonathan need » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Simon,

One good thing about you struggling with the microscope is that i am learning a thing or two as well by reading the posts from the experts :D

I am just managing to get the specimens in focus now but that doesnt help if you do not know what you are looking at.

Jon.
jonathan need

Postby Simon Robson » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 pm

LoL its my pleasure. :lol:

There are no fungi around the house at the moment so used some lichen instead, did not know about the water makes all the world of difference.

I am supposing that braking/loosing coverslips
Knocking said coverslip off the side while putting under the microscope
Wiping off excess water only to have the coverslip to come off as well

Is all part of the fun of it all. :evil:

My next problem is trying to get anything remotely like a photo using the parallax adapter. I think I should have gone for a cctv (thing)

Best wishes,
Simon Robson
Simon Robson

Postby jonathan need » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Simon

Sounds like your having fun. ;) I soon found i needed more cover slips!

With photography through the microscope it seems that it maybe a case of the smaller the camera the better. I have a Nikon 2dxs which is a big heavy camera so i am worried even if i can attach it to the microscope then i will have to deal with lots of vibration due to low light levels.

First things first though i think i will concentrate on preparing good slides and learning to id things. I believe its all in the preperation!

Today i found some 'birds nest fungus so next problem is how do i prepare a slide from that.

Anyway good luck and keep me posted.
Jon
jonathan need

Postby admin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Don't worry. Coverslips are expendable, although I do try to wash mine in soapy water for further use, but mind what you do with the broken bits - they can be lethal. Mess, and things dripping everywhere is part of the fun of learning. You will very soon start being tidy. Just have a lot of tissues handy for the first week or so!. Andreas makes a good point about Ascos, if you can find any, and if you really want to look at spores in a hurry, go and buy some part opened mushrooms from the shops.

As for the camera, definitely get used to taking good pictures with that first before you get any serious ideas about cctv!!!

In the meantime I suspect we need to get you fixed up with some basic microscopy articles from Forayer back issues. By the way, I am proposing to run a one-day microscopy course with Jon Need for a limited number of ABFG members in Sussex in March.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby Simon Robson » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:18 pm

_MG_9542_050110.jpg
_MG_9542_050110.jpg (46.49 KiB) Viewed 12130 times

Hi all, well it sure just missed the point of focus but the first half descent photo from the little dear.

The answer and this could be a fluke was a 12mm Kenco extension tube.
After trying every exposure setting, shutter speed, ISO combination this was the best (and yes I know it’s naff) :oops: so far.

Oh and to show how keen to learn I am that’s my blood. :twisted:

Si
Simon Robson

Postby jonathan need » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Blimey mate thats a bit extreme, did you cut youself on a broken cover slip? :D

Seriously nice one you have achieved more than me so far. What magnification were you at ?

Jon

by the way your blood sample looks like a fungus spore i looked at recently :lol:
jonathan need

Postby Simon Robson » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Your fungus spores must like a drop of Bells then :D

First thanks for the encouragement, I know I am doing something wrong but what the hell it works (almost) and you can not get a white balance on it!!!!

I was at 40/0.65 that’s the blue one on mine. :P

Sounds like the cctv is even worse. :o

Changing the sbject I just got a copy of The Genus Russula in Great Britain by Geoffrey Kibby and its fantastic. The only Russula I have found was a poss R.xerampelina what ever it was even a fresh one stank to high heaven.

My its all good fun is it not.

Si
Simon Robson

Postby Andreas Gminder » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:26 pm

Simon Robson wrote:
Hi all, well it sure just missed the point of focus but the first half descent photo from the little dear.

The answer and this could be a fluke was a 12mm Kenco extension tube.
After trying every exposure setting, shutter speed, ISO combination this was the best (and yes I know it’s naff) :oops: so far.

Oh and to show how keen to learn I am that’s my blood. :twisted:

Si

Hallo Simon,

usually - but it don't works with all cameras I have learnedin the meantime - it is enough to put your camera against the eyepiece and make a foto. If possible set on broad angle and on endless. Or just use the automatic. I have a Olympus C-740 (five years old now) and the pictures just free hand through the eye-piece look like that attached. Not the best, of course, but without having any expenses on equipement it will do to show.

best regards,
Andreas
Attachments
Galerina_atkinsoniana_Zyst1.jpg
cystidia of Galerina atkinsoniana
Galerina_atkinsoniana_Zyst1.jpg (30.41 KiB) Viewed 12129 times
Andreas Gminder

Postby Simon Robson » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 pm

Well thanks mate that’s just dandy. :evil:

I have a parallax photomicrography adapter
A 20D and a 5D
Shoot in Raw
Covert to DNG in Lightroom
CS 4 using a Wacom intuos

And you stick a point and shoot down the eye piece and take a better photo than me! :oops:

And how did you get that measuring (thing) in your photo?

I feel another sleepless night ahead :geek:

All the best

Si
Simon Robson

PreviousNext

Return to Microscopy