Hi all

Re: Hi all

Postby jonathan need » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:17 pm

I cannot believe it, i spend £3000 on a camera then £500 on a microscope and photo bits and pieces and i cant even take a snap. :cry:

Well done simon.

Jon
jonathan need

Postby Andreas Gminder » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:36 pm

Simon Robson wrote:And how did you get that measuring (thing) in your photo?

Hello,

this is just the scale that is lying in one of the two eye-pieces. If you don't have one in one of yours, it will be necessary to get one, otherwise you can't measure the things you watch. May be there are other possibilities today, e.g. measuring with computer software when you have a microscope camera installed.

Here is another example of a microfoto. This time from a Galerina - Galerina steglichii - showing the dextronoid reaction of the spores (they becoming reddish-brown when Melzers is added). The upper part is the original foto through the eye-piece and the one below is just a cut-out. At least for screen presentation this quality is usually sufficiant.

best regards,
Andreas
Attachments
Galerina_steglichii.jpg
spores of Galerina steglichii
Galerina_steglichii.jpg (160.56 KiB) Viewed 8772 times
Andreas Gminder

Postby admin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 am

I would be slightly surprised if Brunel didn't include an eyepiece graticule, which is a glass disc that drops into one of the optics (which has to be unscrewed into 2 parts to insert it). However (!) there is a very large caveat. The measuring 'ruler' on the graticule cannot be used to measure objects without first being calibrated, and for that you need a stage micrometer. The divisions on the graticule in themselves are simply lines on a piece of glass. Don't be persuaded to buy a cheap stage micrometer from Brunel either - they are useless. A proper quality stage micrometer (an engraved glass slide) cost about £100+, so it's better if we put you in touch with a Jersey ABFG member who already has one.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby Simon Robson » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi Andreas.

Sure looks like it works for you nice photos.

As for the Brunel stage micrometer.. too late was the cry! It did come with a eyepiece.

Also with the microscope where two glass disks one blue the other frosted any ideas?

This photo was taken the same way Andreas does, except just hand held.

I thing my blood is going off. :lol:

Just a thought where would one buy a good quality micrometer from?

Best wishes,

Si
Attachments
_MG_3534_040110.jpg
_MG_3534_040110.jpg (79.54 KiB) Viewed 8748 times
Simon Robson

Postby admin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:02 pm

That's an easy one to answer! The only firm that manufactures stage micrometers to a high enough standard in the UK, is Pyser - SGI. Address; Fircroft Way, Edenbridge, kent TN8 6HA. Tel: 01732 864111. Email: sales@pyser-sgi.com

What you will need is an S8 STAGE MIC 1mm/0.01mm DIV. If you purchase one, it comes as an ordinary glass slide with a ringed coverslip in the centre. Within the ring, barely visible to the naked eye will be a minute mark under the coverslip. Under the microscope this will appear as a graduated line, 1mm long divided into 0.10mm divisions. About £100, so don't break it!

You will probably be advised to come to me to get instructions on how to calibrate, or you will have tears again!!! It isn't straightforward, but it's not difficult either!!

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby Simon Robson » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Once again thanks for the advice and offer of help, I have contacted them and they have sent a quote.

They do not take credit cards and will not take off the VAT :x but I will probably get one as it does seem a essential bit of kit, then the only thing left to get are some Stains and Reagents.

Thanks once again

Si
Simon Robson

Postby jonathan need » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Simon,

Just thought i would let you know that yesterday i tried oil imersion with the microscope and its a lot easier than it sounds and gives great views of the spores,so give it a go.
Next for me is photography.

Jon
jonathan need

Postby Simon Robson » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi Jon

You’re the boy, did you prepare the slide as normal (now I know what normal is) and then plonk some oil on top?

Most of the oil that came with my microscope leaked out in the case but there is some left to try out, when the snow melts!! :cry:

Hope you post some photos soon.

Si
Simon Robson

Postby jonathan need » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:12 pm

Simon,

Regarding photography can i ask you have you any experience or knowledge of the Parallex photography system sold on the Brunel site.
Apparently it allows focusing of the camera and specimen similtaniously. I thought it sounded ideal but thought i would check before i buy.

Jon
jonathan need

Postby Simon Robson » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi Jon,

Well it’s a bit better now MJ explained about the “looking through” bit sound obvious now but if you do not then you do not know..LoL

As for the parallex you will need a T-ring as you have (the shame of it) a Nikon :lol: (sorry)

If it would help you could borrow mine its very well made and very robust so I have no problems with popping it in the post.

I have to say though sticking the camera in the eyepiece looks ok the photo I did of my old blood has hand held with no flash and minimal CS4. :!:

Anyway I am sure your 3000 was well spent :?

Best wishes,
Si
Simon Robson

PreviousNext

Return to Microscopy