What am I looking at?

What am I looking at?

Postby Richard Scott » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:18 pm

This is the first time with my new microscope, SP100 with DCM510 camera.
Could someone please explain to me what it is I am looking at. The magnification is x400.
This is a piece of the gill edge of Kuehneromyces mutabilis found yesterday. Am I looking at the basidia?
Attachments
What_is_it.jpg
What_is_it.jpg (35.15 KiB) Viewed 8607 times
Richard Scott
Richard Scott

Re: What am I looking at?

Postby Andreas Gminder » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:16 pm

Hello,

thise elements that protrude over the guill line are very probably cystidia. Most of them have an air bubble at the top, due to the thickness of your preparation. You obviousely have not squashed it, what is very good to get an overview over the preparation in the whole. But to see the cystidia (and basidia) in their whole length, you have to squash your preparation gently to separate the tissue. If you press too hard, all elements will be scattered throughout your cover slip. If you press too light, you don't get the elements separated. It's a matter of exercize, as you can imagine .....

best regards,
Andreas
Andreas Gminder

Postby Richard Scott » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Andreas,
thanks for the advice I really need it at the moment, I have struggled with the whole microscope / camera combination, especially the calibration and slide preparation.
I was very wary about crushing the gill edge material too much but I suppose I will have to spoil a few slides before I get it right.
How does one prepare a slide using harder material say from a bracket fungus?
The software that came with the camera was about the worst I have ever seen, I subsequently found Leif's suggestion of using MICAM shareware and I am finding that much better.

Once again thanks for the help it is much appreciated.
Richard
Richard Scott
Richard Scott

Postby Neil » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:15 am

Sometimes with hard brackets, you may be able to obtain enough material simply by scraping the fertile undersurface with a scalpel or razor blade.
Where you need to cut a minute piece, it has to be really minute and the use of KOH solution will help soften the tissue.
At other times you may need to SLICE AN INDIVIDUAL PORE IN HALF ! to scrape tissue off the inside surface and for this a dissecting microscope will make life easier.

Neil.
Neil

Postby Richard Scott » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks Neil.
Richard Scott
Richard Scott

Return to Microscopy