Sarcodon squamosus?

Red Data and Biodiversity Action Plan issues

Sarcodon squamosus?

Postby Mark Pragnell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:53 am

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8 ... 1326352348

Found near Crossways in Dorset last couple of years growing in Sweet Chestnut, Oak, Pine and Birch mixed Woodland. No Spruce visible near to location. Geology is Upper Eocine sands and gravels. This picture was taken before I became aware of rarity of species and I will be taking photos only not picking from now on.
Mark Pragnell

Re: Sarcodon squamosus?

Postby Andreas Gminder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Hello,

remarks on the taste and the flesh colour in the stipe base is missing. If it's mild, and the flesh is concolourous throught the whole stipe and no grey-green tinges are found in the stipe base - then S. squamosus should be o.k.

best regards,
Andreas
Andreas Gminder

Postby Mark Pragnell » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:46 am

Taste mild not bitter at all. No trace of grey/green in stem base although discolored due to maggot activity. Found today one of two remaining intact and several decimated by slugs.
Attachments
P1100734.JPG
Mark Pragnell

Postby Mark Pragnell » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:29 am

Found six fruit bodies on my last visit including this monster toppled by the relentless slugs. This was the only one disturbed and it was replaced after photo.
Attachments
314633_285360458158101_236751326352348_1073708_208119095_n.jpg
Mark Pragnell

Postby Leif Goodwin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 am

Mark Pragnell wrote:Taste mild not bitter at all. No trace of grey/green in stem base although discolored due to maggot activity. Found today one of two remaining intact and several decimated by slugs.

Whilst I cannot say for sure, your picture is consistent with S. squamosus. S. scabrosus tends to be more irregular, with strongly decurrent spines, and reddish to pinkish colours on the top. Here is an example of the latter showing what I mean:

http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/0__D ... brosus.jpg
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby Mark Pragnell » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:16 am

I do have dried pieces of fruit body if that could be used to determine species. ;) If I send couple to you would you be able to identify from them? I could include a piece of the toothed respunate from another thread.
S.scaberous is classed as endangered I believe so would be significant if confirmed. The site where these occur is not protected from development and has been suggested as a possible waste transfer site :x
I fully understand if you are to busy Leif :)
Mark Pragnell

Postby Leif Goodwin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Mark, to be honest I am quite happy to say that is S. squamosus based on form, given the specimens of each that I have seen in the flesh, and in books etc. S. squamosus can form dinner plate sized fruiting bodies, and although I have seen many specimens of S. scabrosus, they were nowhere near that size, and never that colour, always pinkish to chestnut red. Yours look big, and the colour and shape match S. squamosus. And you checked the characteristics given by Andreas which are probably a better test.

By the way, the hyphae of S. squamosus have clamp connections, as you will see when you get your microscope! :D
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Return to Fungi: rare, threatened and vulnerable