Taxonomy

The national UK fungal records database of the ABFG

Taxonomy

Postby Roy Miller » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 pm

I can't help but notice that some of the fungi on CATE exist in their synonym form, but also their newer taxonomic names. Will the older names be updated to reflect the current name, and if so how often do these updates occur?

Whilst I understand that with the recent inroads through DNA sequencing, this would be an ongoing process.

Here is an example, formerly Hypoxylon multiforme, now Annulohypoxylon multiforme, both of these are in the database, is it just a case that it has not been updated, I assume they will not exist as separate entities?
[color=#008000][b]Roy[/b][/color]
Roy Miller

Re: Taxonomy

Postby admin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:50 am

It's interesting that you point this out, Roy, since your post is something of a coincidence.

At the recent AGM, the CATE team was expand4d by the arrival of John and Doreen Bailey on the admin side. Prior to that there had been not a little pressure on me both getting new data on board and dealing with the evolution of the online recording system. A consequence was that some of the taxonomy updating, in respect of data already on the system, was put temporarily on a back-burner. CATE is a complex system in terms of administration, and John and Doreen needed to go through some extended training. However, as of yesterday, and here comes the coincidence, those taxonomy updates were being dealt with. The focus yesterday was on Handkea and Vascellum to Lycoperdon, is currently on Coprinus revisions, and will turn shortly to Collybia and such one-offs as Annulohypoxylon multiforme.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby Roy Miller » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:18 am

Gymnopus peronatus, shouldn't this be Collybia peronata, that is unless the BMS, GB Checklist of fungi is wrong; otherwise, CATE needs to be edited to reflect this.

Have a nice day :mrgreen:
[color=#008000][b]Roy[/b][/color]
Roy Miller

Postby admin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:21 am

At the moment every effort is being made to update taxonomy promptly when changes occur. But it is not a fully automated process and it is possible that a few of the synonyms have been missed. It would be very valuable if users of the database tell me if they find any such anomalies. Taxon updating by and large has to coincide with the issue of the next Basidio Checklist, which is at the mercy of Kew. Technically it should not be possible for e.g. Collybia peronata to find its way into the system but if someone has been using an old version of the Synonymy Search + an older version of the Species Recorder, some of these names can slip through unless I catch them. This will change once we have the online recording in place.

If in the meantime Roy (or anyone else) comes across entries with old taxon version, please let me know a.s.a.p The update only takes a few seconds.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:51 pm

The situation has been been resolved vis-a-vis Collybia, which I think is Roy's main concern.

In short CATE taxonomy is correct, as is the Index Fungorum. Now that the new monograph by Antonin & Noordeloos is out we should follow that. So, Gymnopus is appropriate, typified by G. fusipes and including most of the usual 'Collybias', as is Rhodocollybia, for C. maculata and C. butyracea, and Collybia then restricted to the 3 small species, type C. tuberosa. This information is confirmed today by Brian Spooner at RBG Kew.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Return to CATE