CATE 2 progress

The national UK fungal records database of the ABFG

CATE 2 progress

Postby Roy Miller » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:51 pm

admin wrote:
Neil wrote:My computer is an IMac, so the initial image on my screen may be different to PC's,

Neil. The IT problems that occasionally arise in terms of visual display on different browsers, and between PC and Mac are familiar, I guess, to website managers, and we have certainly been faced with them here. When the re-designed database (developed by IT people working with Firefox) started testing last week, we found that there were cosmetic issues, even with IE. These are generally quite easily correctable by web designers, but they are worth knowing about in order to address them. I have been 'polling' a number of Mac users and we have found minor aberrations in parts of the CATE2 display (generally affected by the positioning of the ABFG logo image) when using Safari, Chrome and Opera browsers.

MJ

So how is CATE2 coming along, still testing?
[color=#008000][b]Roy[/b][/color]
Roy Miller

Re: CATE 2 progress

Postby admin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:30 pm

You may be blessed with second sight, Roy! This weekend the first modules of CATE 2 become available for general public access (minus, as with CATE1, place names and grid refs). CATE2 now has its own dedicated web address at http://cate.abfg.org

Work is still in progress on the final stages, and a massive amount of IT time is going into achieving the highest possible standard for a UK fungus database. The IT team is doing a phenomenally good job. The functionality has been tested and re-tested over the last month. There are as yet, no 'frills' and you will be taken straight into the main working database, the opening screen of which shows the most recently uploaded page of 515,000 records currently on the system (some of mine as it happens).

You can use the filter/reset buttons top right of the opening screen to run a 99% range of queries. There are still some minor features to add and/or change.

What the system does not have fully completed are the 'pretty bits' or the modules for Totals Search, Synonymy Search and Map Search, as well as the full UK taxonomic classification. Each of these will be loaded in November.

Registered users, including recorders, are being issued with their log-ins this week in order to start loading Places and People into their personal data files prior to entering records, which is now an online facility, virtually fool-proof and largely automated, as well as setting out to meet the various demands of recorders.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby david dell » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:29 am

Await with interest.have a few more entries waiting!
david dell

Postby David Edington » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 am

Three cheers for the back room boys - hip, hip, hooray :D

David
David Edington

Postby Leif Goodwin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Something I noticed when using the standard online access is that there are no fields for "Identified by" and "Confirmed by". In my view those fields are important. You would certainly want to give more credibility to a record of a species identified by me if it was also confirmed by someone at Kew for example. That is especially true of tricky species, and records on unusual substrates, or times of year.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby david dell » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:53 am

Waiting for the people section to open up so I can put back in our additional recorder(Clare) since she is likely to be in the "field" on saturday with her mother.Do you intend to load the rest of my sites or will that one open upen up so I can upload from here.Incidentally I usually have I/E but can use (if pushed) Firefox on other PC.
david dell

Postby admin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 pm

One of the potential downsides of putting the system up online when the fine details are not 100% finalised is that there tends to be an understandable assumption that it is complete!

Fields actually exist for Collector, Determiner and Recorder and are there in the Add a Record section. It's merely that the toggles which give you the option of fields to view are not yet in place for the main database, so you can only see the default fields.

I'll explain how to populate People etc. later today. Out briefly this afternoon.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:42 pm

The CATE2 URL should now be fully compatible with IE in terms of visual display.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:10 pm

david dell wrote:Waiting for the people section to open up so I can put back in our additional recorder(Clare) since she is likely to be in the "field" on saturday with her mother.Do you intend to load the rest of my sites or will that one open upen up so I can upload from here.Incidentally I usually have I/E but can use (if pushed) Firefox on other PC.

Entering CATE2 data

I think it may be useful, in light of David’s comments, to prepare a little hands-on help with the Online Recorder.

Populating My Places, My Members and My Recorders:
These are areas, personal to you and to your login, for you to fill if you are a recorder. It’s very easy and when you have discovered how to fill them initially, it will be no problem for you to go back and add new entries, as required.

Go to Online Recorder in the top toolbar.
Select one of My Places, My Members, or My Recorders
Above e.g. the My Members List you will see a blue button marked ‘Actions’ (this button is in the same place on each screen by the way). Ignore the bottom left ‘Choose and Action’ button for the moment.
Click ‘Actions’ and select ‘+ New’
Fill the box (or in the case of My Places, 3 boxes). When you have filled, click ‘Save’ or ‘Save and Add’.
When you have finished click ‘Back to List’ and you will see that each list you have worked with is now populated. These lists now become available in Add a Record, as you will see when you start to generate records.

Now go to My Datasets via Online Recorder
Give a name to the dataset you are about to create e.g. ‘My Fungus Group, November 2010’
You can create and name as many datasets here as you wish.

Now you can add records:
Go to Add a Record via Online Recorder
Start filling the boxes. Note: as you type the first few letters into each box, you must wait until the drop down appears and then click the correct entry. If you just type the whole box in manually it won’t register.
If you don’t know the current preferred name of a species, start typing in the name you do know in the synonym box, and the current preferred name will appear in brackets for you to enter into the top box. The brackets won’t appear subsequently in your records.
Click the little squares in the boxes you want to stay filled for the next record (generally everything in the Location Data and People and Groups boxes)
When you come to the Dataset box make sure you select the dataset you want from the drop-down menu.
After each record click ‘Save and Add’, and when you come to the final record you want to enter, click ‘Save’.
You can now view these records in My Datasets. Select the set you want to examine, and click Open.
When a set is finally ready to submit for upload, select ‘Submit’ from the bottom blue ‘Choose an Action’ button.

Note: the transfer function from My Datasets to the main dataset is due to be installed (this weekend) but then the final upload has to be done from here after the ABFG ID numbers are added.

Tips:
Names of people: Please use a complete name, not initials. ‘Michael Jordan’ is OK, but ‘M. Jordan’ is not (since we might also have a recorder called ‘Mark Jordan’.
Names of places: National Trust properties must be prefaced with ‘NatTrust’, MOD properties with ‘MODEstates’ and FC properties with ‘ForComm’.
If the location includes a more significant aspect, it must come first. Hence ‘Bristol, The Dingle’ is OK, but ‘The Dingle, Bristol’ is not.
Place names must be without ‘frills’. Thus NatTrust Stourhead’ is OK, but ‘NatTrust Stourhead, behind the church’ is not. This kind of ancillary information goes in the notes.
If you don’t know an OS grid reference or an altitude, go to http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/

Have fun!

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby david dell » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:53 am

Add New Place available on Firefox but not on I/E!
david dell

Next

Return to CATE