CATE 2 progress

The national UK fungal records database of the ABFG

Re: CATE 2 progress

Postby admin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:37 am

David

I'm seriously scratching my head here! I have just used your login, with Internet Explorer, entered a dummy new Place + grid ref. + altitude, and it works absolutely fine. I have deleted the dummy by the way.

When you go onto My Places, tell me exactly what is happening and at what stage it appears to fail. Select 'Actions' and '+ New'. When the screen changes add a place + details and click Save. Wait till it processes and yellow bar appears saying 'The item was created successfully' and then click 'Back to list'. The new entry should appear either at the top or bottom of the list.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby david dell » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:59 am

Is County reference for "place" self-setting on a central program?
david dell

Postby david dell » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Press "actions" Nothing happens! Is this a case of still running I/E6.0 because I/E7 was a failure here.
david dell

Postby admin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Very odd. It may be that there is some glitch re. IE6 that we don't know about, but this will need checking because we don't have IE6 on this system. Meantime I suggest the genuinely lovely Firefox!!!

I know there has been a lot of problem with IE (which is possibly why so many people have migrated to Firefox) and CATE is a complex interactive system.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 pm

To add another wee bit of practical advice about CATE2: The old CATE system did not include an online Synonymy Search for recorders. This was provided as a separate Excel programme. However, it is now fully integrated into CATE2 online recording.

Example: You are familiar with the name Handkea utriformis, but it doesn't appear as a drop-down when you start to type it in to the species box in the Online Recorder. This means that Handkea utriformis is no longer the preferred name in the British Checklist. In this case start to type Handkea into the synonym box. Handkea utriformis will now come up on the drop down, with the currently preferred name, Lycoperdon utriforme, in brackets beside it. Now you can enter Lycoperdon into the species box, and the drop down will include Lycoperdon utriforme for you to click on.

This process will shortly be more automated, but temporarily as development continues, the above is the correct procedure if you are not familiar with an up-to-date taxon version.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby david dell » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:05 pm

OK will put firefox on the "upstairs PC,must now find a download---what do you use for mail?
The firefox on the windows 7 machine has windows mail after a struggle
david dell

Postby david dell » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Have pretty picture and access---Onwards!
david dell

Postby admin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:27 am

David. Adding Firefox as an alternative browser does not 'knock out IE'. You can simply have short cuts to either one on your Desktop and select which you prefer to use at any given time. We tend to go for Firefox, but I also have IE on the system. Out of interest as a mail manager we use Thunderbird, and in this case you do need to choose one or the other between this and Outlook or Outlook Express, but Thunderbird is not strapped to Firefox in any way i.e,. using Firefox you can still keep Outlook as a mail manager.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby david dell » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:42 am

Fun starts with Windows 7,which does not have a linked browser(to please the jealous of MS Brigade) Downloading windows mail is a pain for that PC9did have Vista on it which was useless).Have Firefox on XP machine and as you say has not lost I/E 6 (later I/E's do not like my old (paid for) MS programs for site-building etc).

Synonym access most useful sincec some of my recent items had old names in the memory box!

Have a few datasets already for playing with.
david dell

Postby admin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:37 pm

By way of another update, yesterday the data upload function was slotted in to the system. It has been tested so far and we should be able to start loading records again next week. In the meantime records created in My Datasets are quite safe.

The upload function is a complicated one which, in effect, 'sniffs' all data that is submitted to it and creates a list of anything it doesn't like, for further editing, or addition to the CATE 'dictionaries'. It is in part why developing CATE2 has taken quite a long time (and longer than we originally thought). But we are getting there.

Initial reports from newly logged in recorders are that they find the online recording to be fast, trouble free, and very effective, or as one member put it: it should save oodles of time!
A major advance in CATE online recording is that hunting around for a current name, or wondering how to spell a name, or inadvertently mis-spelling a name has become a thing of the past. It's all done for you.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to CATE