CATE downloads

The national UK fungal records database of the ABFG

CATE downloads

Postby admin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:43 am

One of the real challenges to overcome in selling CATE2 is going to be communication.

This is the gist of an email received today:

I have been entering records this year but unfortunately am unable to enter them for both my local group (of which I am the recorder) into an Excel spreadsheet, and at the same time into the ABFG system. I am short of time.

The CATE2 system was designed with precisely the requirements both of time constraint and Excel download in mind, and it is so important for the future of effective mycological recording to the message across about the huge technical strides made with CATE2. A recorder can receive a downloaded Excel spreadsheet of his or her records almost as soon as they are submitted for activation.

Each record that a recorder puts on arrives here simultaneously, in real time, and is both time and date-stamped, so it is possible to see exactly how long it takes to generate records, at the moment they are being entered. Experience shows that a non-computer-literate recorder with virtually no experience of using the Online Recorder can comfortably enter 100 records at a rate 0f 30 seconds per record, accurately and with no cleaning required.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Re: CATE downloads

Postby David Edington » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Hope this goes some way to help spread the word Michael:

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forum ... post706973

Cheers

David
David Edington

Re: CATE downloads

Postby admin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Once again I must thank David E. for his constantly supportive comments about CATE2 on the WAB website, which does have its entrenched share of 'ABFG-antis', or as a more pithy ABFG member emailed me on the subject of that forum the other week: I think you are pissing in the wind with some. I do occasionally, and perhaps misguidedly, face the flack by contributing observations, and my response is on that website to peruse. If my text there occasionally appears convoluted it is partly because one is barred from mentioning the ABFG on the WAB forum - perhaps another illustration of political niceities gone slightly awry.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Return to CATE