Interesting statistics!

The national UK fungal records database of the ABFG

Interesting statistics!

Postby admin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35 am

In some trepidation, knowing that it has its regulars of the 'ABFG-anti' brigade , I posted details of CATE2 on the Wild About Britain website in order to spread the message as widely as possible that here was a progressive investment designed to move field mycology forward. In spite of predictable cries of 'I-wouldn't-share-my-records-with-ABFG-for-love-or-money-though-I-can't-really-explain-why' from the die-hards, the thread has currently received just short of 900 views, a stretch more than other threads on that forum in recent times!

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Re: Interesting statistics!

Postby admin » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:27 am

Subsequent posts have been deleted from this topic. Will members please note the conditions of forum use, clearly displayed on the opening page:

Postings may discuss politics so long as the discussion is directly relevant to field mycology and/or mycological conservation.

The political exchanges that have been removed had no connection with field mycology!

Thank you.

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby David Edington » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Having been stranded (what a hardship!) in Spain for 12 days instead of the intended 3 nights I am astonished to find, on my return, that all reference to that particular thread on WAB removed. Seems like the minority faction of the anally retentive BMS brigade have more influence than I dared hope. Was any explanation offered? I guess not knowing how WAB's overbearing policies operate.

Let's not be defeated and trust that between us we can elicit from the brainwashed moderators of that site just how we can legitimately support the majority view that the interests of the amateur field mycologists (most of the WAB contributors that is) are at the forefront of promulgating the advantages of CATE 2.

David

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forum ... post712612

PS Unfortunately the totally non-political thread "Cate 2" I started tonight, at link above, was deleted within minutes. Once again no explanation provided; but there again WAB do not do polite gestures!
David Edington

Postby david dell » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:12 am

Tried your link---they would not let me in to read it!
david dell

Postby David Edington » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:48 am

david dell wrote:Tried your link---they would not let me in to read it!

David

See PS at foot of my OP :x

David
David Edington

Postby admin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:33 pm

To clarify, for the benefit of forum users who may be mystified (!), the deletion(s) that I referred to on 10th December related to a series of exchanges on this forum that were not on the subject of field mycology, but the wholly unrelated Wikileaks issues. The deletions that David E. (welcome back) refers to are the apparent removal of all posts on the subject of the CATE database from the Wild About Britain fungus forum.

As to why this bizarre proscription has been carried out I have no idea, other than in the knowledge that the WAB fungus forum tends to be controlled by some well-known political agitators, who thus are keen to censure anything that appears to advertise projects that the ABFG undertakes in the interests of field mycology. I was in fact 'warned' that posts about a volunteer-funded, not-for-profit conservation programme constituted ' advertising' . Curious as this argument may seem, the fact that CATE2 has now been 'blacklisted' does seem a mite defensive, though the forum moderator perhaps felt compelled to act given that the CATE thread was receiving such a high level of interest from WAB members: not in the best interests of the detractors!

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby david dell » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks,gets better by the minute!
david dell

Postby David Edington » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:01 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding which lead me off topic here, but no apologies for having another bash at spreading the good news to a vast number of potentially interested parties amongst the amateur mycologists/fungi spotters by means of the following text posted to an old, thriving, non-political CATE thread on WAB (currently showing 3619 views and 70 replies) :

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forum ... post713047

"CATE 2, the on-line version of the recording package, has now fully superceded CATE 1 and includes a mapping function that, to quote Michael Jordan, "with the generous support of Ordinance Survey generates quite exceptional resolution and detail. With the necessary coordinates, a registered user of the system can focus in on as little as a 10 metre square anywhere in the UK. A member of the public can focus in on a maximum 1 hectad area."

It is well worth a look at this advanced on-line system and, no doubt, of immense interest to the majority of WAB Fungi Forum contributors who consider themselves very much amateur mycologists/fungi spotters keen to learn more about contemporary trends in fungi data recording on a national basis.

David"
David Edington

Postby admin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:17 am

For those of you who have followed this intriguing 'censorship saga', David has this morning resurrected an aged WAB thread focused on the CATE database, the current one having been deleted without explanation yesterday, one must presume under pressure from those who felt that CATE was generating an unhealthy amount of attention. We shall see if and when this more antique thread succumbs to the same censorship!

None of the relevant postings on Wild About Britain contravened any of its published rules, and it is clear that the forum moderators felt obliged to give way to 'intellectual bullying'. It is both sad, and rather shameful, when petty politics and the selfish interest of a small minority are permitted to subvert the dissemination of information that does not conform to their particular ideology. It also exposes the weakness of their case.

MJ

p.s. I speak too soon. The above topic was deleted by 9.00am
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Return to CATE