Online Guide to CATE

The national UK fungal records database of the ABFG

Online Guide to CATE

Postby admin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:27 am

It has been suggested, in view of the rapidly advancing numbers of recorders wanting to get records onto CATE using the Online Recorder, that we should develop an online guide to the use of CATE and CATE recording. Experience has shown that once recorders familiarise with the system, they find it a joy to use and a vast saving of time, but initially some people do find difficulty in understanding all that CATE will do for them and, especially, how to achieve the preliminary setting up of files.

Good idea?? Feedback please!

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Re: Online Guide to CATE

Postby David Edington » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:29 pm

admin wrote:It has been suggested, in view of the rapidly advancing numbers of recorders wanting to get records onto CATE using the Online Recorder, that we should develop an online guide to the use of CATE and CATE recording. Experience has shown that once recorders familiarise with the system, they find it a joy to use and a vast saving of time, but initially some people do find difficulty in understanding all that CATE will do for them and, especially, how to achieve the preliminary setting up of files.

Good idea?? Feedback please!

MJ

Ah good, the penny's dropped at last ;) Just kidding Michael; it's a splendid idea which I've mooted on several occasions in forum when snippets have appeared scattered all over the shop; and which I think should be replicated on the main ABFG website.

I feel another MJ best seller is in the offing :D

Cheers

David

P.S. It would encourage lazy so and sos like me who are shy of new software and the rigmarole of set-up, to use it more often. :oops:
David Edington

Postby admin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:02 pm

David Edington wrote: David Edington » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:29 am

Ah good, the penny's dropped at last ;) Just kidding Michael; it's a splendid idea which I've mooted on several occasions in forum when snippets have appeared scattered all over the shop; and which I think should be replicated on the main ABFG website.

I feel another MJ best seller is in the offing

Who, you David? Get away! Setting up is actually a piece of cake and you would laugh if you realised how simple it is. It would take you all of 5 minutes to do all the setting up including your 'hot' places. You can ask me to direct you in the meantime, because it may take a wee while to compose another literary masterpiece!

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris Johnson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 am

Excellent idea Michael. Although I have now successfully added some data with a lot of guidance from you, I still have little idea how the rest of CATE works. As David has 'light heartedly' said, the information is there in threads but needs to be collated into a common pool. My attention span with technology barely registers and say 'sod it' all too quickly and do something more interesting.

Without guidance, it is sometime hard to figure if a function is working correctly or not. Recently I conducted a search on a species and wanted to put them in Vice County order. I clicked on A/Z and, yes, they sorted by Vice County names. Now I am sure this was the intention but not a lot of use. If this was my intention I would have conducted the search with a particular county. What I really wanted was to sort the list by VC Numbers so that I could check the status of the species with contiguous counties. CATE probably has a function to do this; just need instruction.

Go for it Michael.
Chris Johnson

Return to CATE