Paxillus cuprinus

A showcase for identified rare, exciting fungi, perhaps 'firsts' for your county

Paxillus cuprinus

Postby Mal Greaves » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:38 pm

One of the "new" Paxillus found in open areas but with Birch and with distinctive tapering "pinched" spores.
IMG_8583a.jpg

IMG_8582a.jpg

IS_50a.jpg

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Re: Paxillus cuprinus

Postby Leif Goodwin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Impressive. What made you think it might be interesting?
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby Mal Greaves » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:07 am

I have know for some time about changes in Paxillus so have been looking for P amoniavirescens which I have found on a couple of occasions but the latest Field Mycology has just published the "current" key. On a macroscopic level the difference between P involutus and P cuprinus is mainly down to habitat. The former found in woodland, the latter in open areas. I see a lot of Paxillus and when I came across this specimen amongst just four or five trees at the edge of a heathland common I thought I would look a little closer. I was a bit dubious about the ease of identifying spores with "predominantly constricted apex" but it turned out that there were lots that I confidently felt fitted this description. I compared with spores of P involutus I had stored (while trying unsuccessfully to see any colour difference) and there were almost no constricted spores.

IS_63a.jpg
Paxillus involutus spores

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Roy Betts » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:26 am

Well done Mal! Very convincing spores.
By the time my 'Field Mycology' had arrived all the Paxillus around here had gone; so I'm looking forward to next season to try out Geoff's key to the 5 British species. I've found rubicundulus a couple of times but many Paxillus finds seem to be in "parks and gardens" and so are likely to be ammoniavirescens, obscuriporus or cuprinus.
Roy Betts

Postby Mal Greaves » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks Roy
It is good to be able to come to a successful id without having to make a judgement call on the shape/size/ornamentation of the spores/cystidia etc
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Return to Look what I've found!