Dung fungi

A showcase for identified rare, exciting fungi, perhaps 'firsts' for your county

Dung fungi

Postby Mal Greaves » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:53 pm

With a few pots of dung there is rarely a day goes by without something new.
A couple of Ascobolus which are known for their distictive dark purple spores usually with reticulated surfaces
Spore.jpg
Ascobolus albidus spore

which stick out above the Apothecia.
2.jpg
Ascobolus albidus and Ascobolus immersus

The large one in the middle is A albidus and the one to the side whith the huge asci and spores is A immersus
pwa (800x640).jpg
Ascobolus immersus spore

I then spotted a small "flower" less than 1/3 mm tall.
c.jpg
Rhopalomyces elegans

Which looking at Ellis and Ellis turns out to be a Rhopalomyces, a Phycomycete where the Sporangioles are attached to a globe by little pegs
e - Copy.jpg
Vesicle of Rhopalomyces showing pegs
5.jpg
Rhopalomyces elegans spore showing apiculus

but which one? E&E has two R elegans and R magnus and having the smaller spores elegans it is. :D
On to the checklist :cry: there are three varieties of elegans. Off to Cybertruffle an online library of Mycological information and there is a paper from 1963 which explains why with these spores I have R elegans var apiculatus.

What next ;)

Mal

Ps these things certainly test the photographic limits
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Re: Dung fungi

Postby Neil » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:42 am

You old Pro, Mal - that's brilliant.
Could you remind me/us what equipment you are using again please - I'd be more than pleased if I could obtain these results.

Neil.

P.S. Mal, on a personal matter, the old boy with the 'Phallus hadriani' just would not accept it was a plain P.impudicus - even claiming ''everybody present thought it smelt of honey too" In the end, after 5 emails, I had to tell him bluntly to forget all about it. 3 days later, he turns up at the Museum with a dried and a fresh specimen 'to prove it's honey'. He is quickly told by staff and visitors in the foyer, what he can do with his smelly specimens ! I think he finally got the message !
Neil

Postby Mal Greaves » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:16 am

Neil
A cheap internet bought disecting microscope from Seben, a ten year old SP05 compound from Brunel and DCM 130 camera. The final element is combinZ a free stacking program which allows you to take a few photos at different focal points and it combines them to give a (hopefully) fully focused picture. The camera is good but I do have problems getting a true representation with the colour. The first of the Ascobolus spores are actually a rich purple.

Mal
My suggestion for 'Phallus hadriani' was after accepting the chaps olifactory input and the fact that it was in one of the few counties of the UK where it is found.
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Neil » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:46 am

Me too Mal, that's why I had to take this seriously to start with and investigate further, until I finally got to see the photo, but he delayed his agony by claiming everyone present during the initial find all said it smelt of honey too. When he brought new specimens in to the museum, still insisting they smelled of honey, he was history ! (I think he may have invented the 'people present who also said honey') :D

Regarding the DCM camera it's a pity the colours are disappointing, but at the end of the day it's the detail that counts and that is what is conveyed brilliantly.

Neil.
Neil

Postby Mal Greaves » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 am

Now the main "large" fruiting season is finished (yes I know there is still lots to find but they are often so waterlogged it makes id even more difficult) I have started on this trail again.
While setting up this years specimens I came across a find from last year which I (don't think) was posted. A small cotton wool growth on some dung.
Conidiophore.jpg

the septate conidia
conidia.jpg

took me most of the way but the final "proof" of id was the loops used to catch eelworms
loops2.jpg

Arthrobotrys superba

Lets see what this time brings.
Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Chris Johnson » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:14 am

Nice one Mal.

It's good to see images of they tiny fungi as there are few on the web.
Chris Johnson

Postby Mal Greaves » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:26 pm

Well I did get round to cultivating half a dozen collections and managed seven species of Coprinus including these two.

IMG_6421 (602x640).jpg

With a granular cap and ring C ephemeroides and the other with the hairy cap C radiatus.

Three species of Pilobolus including P rorida var umbonatus
sporangia2.jpg

Five species of Ascobolus with their distinctive spores
the course warts of A stictoideus
New-Out99995-_Pyramid Maximum Contrast[1,0,1] (640x549).jpg

The longer spores and finer warts of A hawaiiensis
12 (640x512).jpg
12 (640x512).jpg (143.51 KiB) Viewed 3671 times

And the more usual ridged Ascobolus spores of A crenulatus

spores1.jpg

And finally with its apt name of Podospora intestinacea

New-Out99997-Pyramid Do Stack[1,0,1].jpg

So as not to bore too many people I will leave the Cercophora Firmaria Saccobolus Sporormiella Stilbella Schizothecium Thelebolus Trichobolus and Thecotheus for another time ;)
And that was from seven very small samples.

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Leif Goodwin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Mal Greaves wrote:So as not to bore too many people I will leave the Cercophora Firmaria Saccobolus Sporormiella Stilbella Schizothecium Thelebolus Trichobolus and Thecotheus for another time

I cannot speak for others, but your photos are far from boring, very interesting actually.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby Mal Greaves » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks for that Leif.

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Ian Knox » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:15 am

Hi Mal

I am another who finds the dedication to the forum and photography more than interesting, if I could achieve what has been presented in this thread I would be more than happy.

Many thanks for sharing your photographs and knowledge.

Regards

Ian
Ian Knox
Forum moderator
Ian Knox
Forum moderator

Next

Return to Look what I've found!