Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain & Europe

Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain & Europe

Postby Roy Miller » Fri May 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Yesterday, I received Geoffrey Kibby's latest publication Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain & Europe - Volume 1.
The ISBN is 978-0-9572094-2-8 (it is a hardback).

This is an easy read and a lot of thought has gone into its layout. The open pages are very informative, covering some aspects of the biology of fungi, their anatomy and methods of reproduction, but it also touches on, taxonomy and nomenclature, microscopy and chemical tests. There are drawings of spores (and other microscopic features) for the species found within the book. In all, it covers 650 species of Polypores, Corticioids and members of the following orders, Geastrales, Phallales, Cantharellales, Gomphales, Thelophorales, Auriculariales, Tremellales, Dacromycetales, Boletales, Russulales and Agaricales.

I recommend this book to all, and I very much look forward to the accompanying Volume 2 of this series that will be published in the future.

Regards
Roy Miller
Roy Miller

Re: Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain & Europe

Postby Mal Greaves » Sun May 28, 2017 10:50 pm

I totally agree Roy. Lots of general information and more salient information to help come up with an id.
I can see it getting a lot of use.
Mal
Ps it has a lot of the bl...dy silly names but I suppose we will just have to live with that.
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Re: Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain & Europe

Postby Roy Miller » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:02 am

Ps it has a lot of the bl...dy silly names but I suppose we will just have to live with that.

Yes, that's something that we will have to live with, but that aside, it's compensated by the nice feature of giving the etymology/Latin meanings of each individual species - some examples:

Suillus grevillei (after C. F. Greville, Scottish mycologist) ... my typo edit
Suillus collinitus (collinitus = besmeared)
Lactarius flavidus (flavidus = yellowish)
Imleria badia (badia = bay-brown)

Very useful indeed.
Roy Miller

Return to Book Reviews