The Genus Amanita in Great Britain by Geoffrey Kibby

The Genus Amanita in Great Britain by Geoffrey Kibby

Postby Sheila Lillie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:25 am

I have just bought this which became available on the 8th August 2012 and it is excellent I cannot fault anything in the book (very thin Book ) it also has a sub section on non British too.The contents are introduction,subgenera and sections of Amanita and the species recorded in Britain,key to subgenera,subsections and series.Key to species.Description and notes on species.References and further reading. The photographs are good but I have seen some better specimens myself but that is me just being a perfectionist with the quality of fungi.I would recommend this book,I get a lot were I live so I now wait in eager anticipation for the beginning of the Autumn so I can test my skills on identifying them.
Sheila Lillie

Re: The Genus Amanita in Great Britain by Geoffrey Kibby

Postby Stuart Bates » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 am

I would like to see more Amanita species in my area... all I ever see is A. muscaria, A. fulva and A. rubescens... oh and a single find of Amanita citrina (var alba).

How many species are included in the book?
Stuart Bates

Postby Mal Greaves » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:21 pm

48 which includes the 32 in the British Checklist and the rest which you might expect to be found here.

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Sheila Lillie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks Mal
I had not counted them in the book I get Amanita muscaria,A.rubescens,A.excelsa,A.pantherina,A.porphyria,A.fulva but have had other's that I have never identified properly but it is mostly Coniferous woodland and Beech were I am.I found an Amanita rubescens this week so they are starting to come up now.

Sheila
Sheila Lillie

Postby Mike Karpaty » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 pm

I had this book ( very thin ) for Christmas but even though it's thin it's very informative. I would recommend it.
Mike Karpaty

Return to Book Reviews