Polypores

Polypores

Postby Roy Miller » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Would be interested to know what members opinions are on the works listed below, with if possible, a comparison between the 2 works.

- Fungi Europaei, Volume 10: Polyporaceae.
- European Polypores Part 1. Synopsis Fungorum Volume 6 along with European Polypores Part 2. Synopsis Fungorum Volume 7

Thanks in advance
[color=#008000][b]Roy[/b][/color]
Roy Miller

Re: Polypores

Postby Neil » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:34 pm

'Fraid I can't help you Roy, I use Parts 1 & 2 European Polypores by Ryvarden & Gilbertson.
Both books lack drawings or photos of the fruitbody but are excellent for microscopic detail and other info.

Neil Mahler.
Neil

Postby Leif Goodwin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:50 am

I own and use Fungi Europaei volume 10 Polyporaceae. It is a fairly large hard bound book of just over 800 pages. Species are ordered alphabetically, with descriptions first, and then at the end a large number of colour photos, often several for each species. The descriptions are in Italian, followed by a summary in English, although the summary misses out some information given in Italian. Each description usually includes a sketch of the basidia, cystidia, spores and other structures. There are some keys. It is an impressive work, and I recommend it even if like me you have almost no knowledge of the Italian language. I have no knowledge of the other books that you mention.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby Andreas Gminder » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:07 am

Hello,

I have (and sell) both books.
The "Synopsis fungorum ..." volumes are the "European Polypores" vol. 1+2 by RYVARDEN & GILBERTSON, that Neil mentioned. It is a monograph by the may be best expert for Polypores and has good micro-scetches, but no fotos. Texts are in english. Price is 78 Euro.
The book of BERNICCHIA is newer, has more detailed descriptions and has a lot of colour fotos - but not very good micro scetches. Texts are in italian, keys and summary also in english. Price is 67 Euro.

I would say that both books are necessary for those who want to treat the polypores more intensive. If I must make a decision, I would take the book of BERNICCHIA, because it is more then ten years newer, has many colour fotos and is 10 Euro cheaper ....

best regards,
Andreas
Andreas Gminder

Return to Book Reviews