An Odd Book.

An Odd Book.

Postby Neil » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 am

Has anybody come across this very strange edible fungi book written by a lady who warns the reader "Never eat any fungi with gills" !

I have only browsed through it in book stores, but have never been able to find her reason for making such an absurd statement.
Like anybody else I guess, if I come across a large group of good edibles, I occasionally may take a handfull just for one meal when I get home - usually restricting my choice to a few Bay Boletes, Wood Blewits, or Agaricus spp. (I never come across Ceps or Hedgehog fungi in large numbers)

But the thing is, ridiculous as it is, I have never come across anybody making any comment about this unusual book. I would imagine her reasoning is it is safer to stick to fungi with pores and a stem as there is less chance of mistaking one for a toxic one.

Staying within the guidelines on comments regarding the consumption of fungi does anyone have any views on this book ?

Neil Mahler.
Neil

Re: An Odd Book.

Postby david dell » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:34 am

Shame then if you cook red boletus for tea!
david dell

Postby Neil » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:20 pm

The book is called 'Mushrooming without Fear' by Alexander Schwab.
There are 2 comments on Amazon including someone saying that "It's a pity it throws out things like Shaggy Inkcap, which are still easy to identify, but gilled"

Well I can think of a lot better gilled fungi to eat than Shaggy Inkcap that are easy to identify, but I shall not be bothering to waste my time by making any comments on Amazon regarding this book.

Neil.
Neil

Postby Leif Goodwin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 am

I recently saw this book in a shop, and the first page I turned to had the recommendation not to eat any fungus with gills. I know that in parts of Italy the locals follow that rule, as eating boletes might give you a stomach ache, but at least you will have the opportunity to recover. An Italian I knew would eat any bolete regardless. The book did not look very interesting.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Return to Book Reviews