Food Unwrapped

Is focused foraging for edible fungi justifiable?

Food Unwrapped

Postby GeoffDann » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:02 pm

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, or whether it would technically count as "advertising", but if anybody is interested I'm going to be on Channel 4 on Monday (24th Sept), foraging for St George's Mushrooms and talking about why Penny Buns can't be cultivated. The programme is called "Food Unwrapped" and is on at 8.30pm.

:)
Last edited by GeoffDann on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeoffDann

Re: Food Unwrapped

Postby Stuart Bates » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi Geoff

I saw that program advertised last week.... Is it the one that shows how "many" wild mushrooms are actually used in supermarket soups? (The kind that have about 2% content) :lol:

I will most probably be watching it!! :D
Stuart Bates

Postby Leif Goodwin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:37 pm

And there's me thinking your mention in the Daily Telegraph was proof of super stardom ... :D
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby GeoffDann » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:27 pm

Stuart Bates wrote:Hi Geoff

I saw that program advertised last week.... Is it the one that shows how "many" wild mushrooms are actually used in supermarket soups? (The kind that have about 2% content) :lol:

I will most probably be watching it!! :D

That's the one, yes. I'm quite interested to see how my explanations are fitted into the overall story. :)
GeoffDann

Postby GeoffDann » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Leif Goodwin wrote:And there's me thinking your mention in the Daily Telegraph was proof of super stardom ... :D

I had no idea about that until somebody on another forum told me about it. The quotes I gave were to my local paper, which runs an annual story about how dangerous it is to forage for mushrooms. The day after they ran the story, the Telegraph and the Mail repeated bits of it. I'm not complaining... :)
GeoffDann

Postby Ian Knox » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Hello Geoff

If you had not posted I would have missed tonight's program, as forum moderator I personally see no problem with the post and do not consider it as an advertisment.

Regards

Ian
Ian Knox
Forum moderator
Ian Knox
Forum moderator

Postby GeoffDann » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:04 pm

OK...if anyone saw that...it's not my fault the science was all wrong. I explained in great detail why SYMBIOTIC fungi can't be farmed, and they edited out my explanations and voiced-over something that was completely wrong. Oh well, it was my face on the TV... :)
GeoffDann

Postby Stuart Bates » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:05 am

I noticed that the guy in the factory did most of the talking about why wild mushrooms can't be farmed... and then his explanation wasn't great. It made me laugh when they rang the customer help line and asked "what is the difference between wild mushrooms and normal mushrooms?" Their answer..... "wild mushrooms are grown in the dark" :?

I did notice that they voiced over your scenes with an explanation about how "mushrooms are parasitic and require a host tree to grow" but we all know that doesn't apply to all fungi... at least they included you mentioning eating roadkill!! :lol: Out of interest what animal was it?

I think in context to the theme of the program, your section highlighted the fact that foraging for wild mushrooms takes a long time (were you really there for more than 2 hours?) and provides not even nearly enough to supply supermarkets.

On a seperate note I think you almost have longer hair than me, you've been foraging for just 1 year less than my entire life to date!! (I'm 26) and you have the same camping stove as me :lol:

Also.... I think I've been put off eating farmed prawns due to the cruel pratice of removing an eye off each female in order to encourage egg production!! :cry:
Stuart Bates

Postby GeoffDann » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 am

Stuart Bates wrote:I noticed that the guy in the factory did most of the talking about why wild mushrooms can't be farmed... and then his explanation wasn't great. It made me laugh when they rang the customer help line and asked "what is the difference between wild mushrooms and normal mushrooms?" Their answer..... "wild mushrooms are grown in the dark" :?

I did notice that they voiced over your scenes with an explanation about how "mushrooms are parasitic and require a host tree to grow" but we all know that doesn't apply to all fungi... at least they included you mentioning eating roadkill!! :lol: Out of interest what animal was it?

I think in context to the theme of the program, your section highlighted the fact that foraging for wild mushrooms takes a long time (were you really there for more than 2 hours?) and provides not even nearly enough to supply supermarkets.

Yes, that's how they fitted it into their story, which was crudely over-simplified as is the rest of that programme. This was not supposed to be high-end science. It was supposed to be entertainment, with a bit of science thrown in. I told them that the mushrooms which were probably in their soup were symbiotic and explained why you can't farm mycorrhizal mushrooms. I gave them enough footage to have done a ten minute section explaining the real reasons why there are so few wild mushrooms in their soup. But it wouldn't have fitted into their programme very well, would it?

I'm not complaining though. It actually gives me a start point for future talks I hold with mushroom newbies. In fact I think I'm going to write something resembling an essay entitled "why there are really so few wild mushrooms in supermarket soups." And it accurately portrayed Geoff as Geoff. I think some of my real-life friends were sort of expecting it to be a TV-friendly version of Geoff, but what they got was Geoff as he is real life, on the telly. :)
GeoffDann

Postby Stuart Bates » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:44 am

I used to hold foraging walks and did one or two articles for my local paper and also appeared in a local documentary about sustainable living and the transition town movement... all of which were heavily edited and in the end barely represented the amount of information / footage I contributed to the finished thing.

I have since given up on the group foraging thing... I felt restricted by people who often complained when I suggested we jump over a wall or scramble up a steep hill... at least when I'm by myself I can go where I like and take as long as I need.

I was impressed by the ring of St. George's mushrooms that you found... were they discovered "pre-filming" or did you actually have to go out and hope you found something? The guy did make a point of saying "we've been out for 2 hours now" and I just wondered if that was true or just added in for effect?

In a way it's probably a good thing that they didn't touch deeply on the science as the program was aimed at the general public and it may well have confused them beyond belief!! :lol:

I did enjoy the program but didn't like that factory guy's attitude when he mentioned that there is an "industry to be had" in the UK... the last thing I want to see is industrial scale picking across the country!!
Stuart Bates

Next

Return to Fungus foraging - the debate.