Food Unwrapped

Is focused foraging for edible fungi justifiable?

Re: Food Unwrapped

Postby GeoffDann » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:56 am

Stuart Bates wrote:
I was impressed by the ring of St. George's mushrooms that you found... were they discovered "pre-filming" or did you actually have to go out and hope you found something?

What they asked for was this: somewhere in woodland (not grassland) where we can find edible wild mushrooms and where we can film for free (which excludes all council owned land and the whole of the Ashdown Forest). And they wanted this in the middle of May. The best I could do having spent two days searching for somewhere suitable in Sussex was a smaller ring of St George's that were growing near the entrance to the golf course we were on. This wasn't really the right environment for the shots they wanted, and I knew there were some other rings deeper in the woodland, although not in very good condition. So we went looking for them, but they weren't so good to film. Then on our way back to entrance, Matt Tebbutt actually found that ring. I did not know it was there. So the answer is that I had to do a lot of legwork and draw on experience to get us in the right place, but those specific mushrooms were genuinely found while we were filming, and not by me.

The guy did make a point of saying "we've been out for 2 hours now" and I just wondered if that was true or just added in for effect?

We weren't searching for mushrooms for 2 hours. Most of that was filming. We didn't cover more than about 1km all morning.

In a way it's probably a good thing that they didn't touch deeply on the science as the program was aimed at the general public and it may well have confused them beyond belief!! :lol:

When I said to the producer "but these are saprophytes...", he just said "they aren't going to understand that." I was told to make it comprehensible to a small child.

I did enjoy the program but didn't like that factory guy's attitude when he mentioned that there is an "industry to be had" in the UK... the last thing I want to see is industrial scale picking across the country!!

The guy in the factory clearly didn't know anything about wild mushrooms apart from what happens to them after they have been picked. He didn't really pretend to either.
Last edited by GeoffDann on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeoffDann

Postby Stuart Bates » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:01 pm

GeoffDann wrote:The guy in the factory clearly didn't know anything about wild mushrooms apart from what happens to them after they have been picked. He didn't really pretend to either.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for answering my questions by the way... I'm not being nosey (I hope) but am just genuinely interested about how they go about making these programs and how much content is actually manipulated or dropped in order to meet the requirements of the audience. The fact that they asked you to make it comprehensible to a small child says it all!! :lol:

From the way they did your piece it did look as though you covered a fair amount of ground and had been at it for a good while... I did see a very brief shot of the guy saying "we found a golf ball" so I'm assuming that was close to the golf course you mentioned?
Stuart Bates

Postby GeoffDann » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Stuart Bates wrote:
GeoffDann wrote:The guy in the factory clearly didn't know anything about wild mushrooms apart from what happens to them after they have been picked. He didn't really pretend to either.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for answering my questions by the way... I'm not being nosey (I hope) but am just genuinely interested about how they go about making these programs....

See attachment.

From the way they did your piece it did look as though you covered a fair amount of ground and had been at it for a good while... I did see a very brief shot of the guy saying "we found a golf ball" so I'm assuming that was close to the golf course you mentioned?

We covered very little ground, but as you can see, we weren't especially mobile. The land we were on was woodland that is owned by and next to a golf course. There are also a couple of what look like the fairways of holes that were never completed, and that's where these mushrooms were growing.
Attachments
telly.jpg
GeoffDann

Postby Stuart Bates » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Oh wow you were allowed to take pictures of the film crew at work? :D

That's great Geoff and thanks for answering my many questions about your experience. The closest I ever got to media attention was by giving 2 seperate interviews on BBC Radio Manchester.
Stuart Bates

Previous

Return to Fungus foraging - the debate.