Saccobolus caesariatus

A showcase for identified rare, exciting fungi, perhaps 'firsts' for your county

Saccobolus caesariatus

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Found on Rabbit droppings.
The clear apothecia have the asci and spore-clusters protruding (with Schizothecium tetrasporum).
I doubt it's as rare as the few records suggests.
Attachments
Saccobolus-caesariatus-01.jpg
Chris Johnson

Re: Saccobolus caesariatus

Postby Mal Greaves » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 pm

There are just not many of us collecting rabbit/deer/horse/cow droppings :o

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby Leif Goodwin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Mal Greaves wrote:There are just not many of us collecting rabbit/deer/horse/cow droppings

I think you need not worry unduly that your monopoly will be challenged. That said, there are some nice coprophilic (turd loving) fungi. A few years ago John Parsons aka JP found a lovely specimen which was the first record for the UK, and one of the first in the world no less. The problem I found was that they are often so fragile that the slightest breeze disturbs them, making photography impossible, and many are so short lived that I could never find ones in good condition. I think you do have to be a bit careful, as you can pick up infections from for example cow pancakes. I am sure someone on another forum did catch an illness.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby Mal Greaves » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:06 am

Leif Goodwin wrote: The problem I found was that they are often so fragile that the slightest breeze disturbs them, making photography impossible, and many are so short lived that I could never find ones in good condition. I think you do have to be a bit careful, as you can pick up infections from for example cow pancakes. I am sure someone on another forum did catch an illness.

That's why they are much better collected and "grown on" at home. But it depends on what we are trying to achieve. Is a good photo the aim or a record for the Database, in an ideal world both I suppose. I would always prefer a poor photo showing all the details to justify an identification but having seen your fantastic photos I think you would always be disappointed if you didn't end up with one "for the album".

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Postby admin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Chris' remarkable photo(s) are deservedly about to find a place in the forthcoming Spring issue of the Forayer, with an accompanying article (see page 18).

MJ
Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
admin
Site Admin

Return to Look what I've found!