Encoelia furfuracea

A showcase for identified rare, exciting fungi, perhaps 'firsts' for your county

Encoelia furfuracea

Postby Sheila Lillie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:06 pm

I am not sure if this is rare or just not noticed but I was rather excited when I came across this fabulous looking fungi,it blends in very well on the bark of the old coppiced Hazel I found it on.
Attachments
Spring Hazelcup (4).JPG
Spring Hazelcup-a.jpg
Spring Hazelcup (6)a.jpg
Sheila Lillie

Re: Encoelia furfuracea

Postby Leif Goodwin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm jealous. I've been searching for these for years, and only found one dried specimen. Nice photos. And lovely specimens. It might be local or rare, searching CATE and the FRDBI will tell you.
Fungi and Nature Photography: http://www.leifgoodwin.co.uk/Fungi/Fungi.html
Leif Goodwin

Postby Andreas Gminder » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:46 am

Hello,

may be you haven't found it, because you searched too late in the year? Here I found it usually in the late winter days and April usually is at the very end of the fructification period. Usually you see at this time only the holes in the cortex of the hazel nut stems .... When you look in older Corylus bushes with stems covered by Hypoxylon fuscum, there is a good chance to find Encoelia furfuracea too. To my experience mild winter periods to February are the best time.

best regards,
Andreas
Andreas Gminder

Postby Dave H-Tranter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 am

The only one I have found was in September - and to be honest it was someone else on the foray who found it - I kept the twig and the fruiting bodies opened out and were quite splendid. http://www.fungalpunknature.co.uk/Fungi ... uracea.htm - I will eventually add the photo of the opened out fruit bodies.

Fungalpunk Dave
Dave H-Tranter

Postby Richard Scott » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Found one in Lincolnshire 12th May 2010 but haven't seen it again since.
Richard Scott
Richard Scott

Return to Look what I've found!