anything you don't understand about fungal recording - where, when, why, how


Postby david dell » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:35 pm

I put in "Phellodon" for dates 01/01/1995 to 21/11/2010 recorder "dell" and get someone's "cornish" results"!
Also have to shuffle the page sideways to get to "filter".Did same on Cate1 and result up in seconds.
It's these aged fingers no doubt!
david dell
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Butterfingers!

Postby admin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:01 am


It's not butterfingers. There is indeed still a minor technical problem when filtering, based on the name of a Recorder or Collector. There is also some minor adjustment to be made so that the Filter is fully visible without scrolling, on all browsers. It's one of a number of small practical amendments that have to be made before the CATE2 system goes out on general availability. Can I gently remind anybody who currently has login access that one of the essential reasons why we have given logins to a number of recorders for an interim period is to sort out these small issues that sometimes only emerge through practical trial and error. This is a pretty advanced system and it is perhaps optimistic to assume that everything will be 100% during the testing phase.

However, it appears to be only the Recorder/Collector filter that is problematic. if you enter Phellodon in the Genera box and in the VC box, enter Surrey, (don't forget to click the blue drop-down names), it will bring up all your Surrey records for Phellodon species in about 5.5 seconds. The filter is marginally slower than CATE1 because the Online Recording programme and the degree of accuracy now installed requires the system to deal with a lot more information than CATE1. We could go straight away for a dedicated server instead of the 'cloud' servers but that would add substantially to the running costs and we need to get over the expenditure on developing CATE2 first.

90% of the system is now working and working well and the other 10% is being attended to as quickly as possible.

Michael Jordan
Forum moderator
Site Admin
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 pm

Re: Butterfingers!

Postby david dell » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:44 pm

Splendid,I can continue to do what I did as a sideline when working--attempt to break each computer research system offered ! Its great fun pushing buttons for unlikely combinations and finding what the programmers hadn't contemplated.
Did do a Mori doorstep survey eighteen months ago and had their research office come back to see if I meant some of the answers.
The one I always enjoyed was one written in Fortran V which was one side of a piece of paper or 800 pages in extended basic.
I used to send the original author (who was by then working elsewhere) a crate of samples each time he (one of the last of the senior wranglers) modified the piece of paper.
Carry on the good work and hopefully more large organisations will want to view the data,use it and ensure the survival of the various fungi.It should rub off on conservation of other species,I should imagine the "beetle" experts would be interested in your woodland data!
david dell
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Return to Questions for CATE - air them here!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest