[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Fungus Conservation Trust Formerly The Association of British Fungus Groups • View topic - Possible Neolentinus lepideus

Possible Neolentinus lepideus

species identification

Possible Neolentinus lepideus

Postby GeoffDann » Mon May 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Found on Friday near Hastings. When I saw these from a distance I assumed they were going to be the Agrocybe rivulosa that were growing on the same pile of woodchip last spring, but these aren't Agrocybes. The closest thing I can find that is recorded as growing on woodchip is Pluteus petasatus, but the stem is all wrong and the whole mushroom is much more robust than Pluteus usually are. I've never seen Neolentinus lepideus, but the description seems to match in most respects. The only thing that is wrong is the habitat - N. lepideus is supposed to grow on timber, not woodchip. Odour is distinct but I'm struggling to describe it - mild, not unpleasant.
Attachments
unknown4.jpg
GeoffDann

Re: Possible Neolentinus lepideus

Postby Roy Betts » Mon May 11, 2015 6:34 pm

I think this is Melanoleuca verrucipes. Black scales on the stipe are distinctive. New to Britain in 2000 and spreading due to the increase in the use of woodchips. FAN5 says it occurs from May on and has a "...weak, anise-like smell, with unpleasant component".
Roy Betts

Postby GeoffDann » Mon May 11, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks Roy. It's not in any of my books.
GeoffDann

Postby Roy Betts » Thu May 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi Geoff,
I've never found this species but it is in a couple of my Field Guides:
In Bon the smell is "...fruity, then mealy-earthy".
Courtecuisse says it has a smell of Coumarin.
Fungi of Switzerland (B&K3) also illustrates it and describes the smell at length as "...faintly of bitter almonds or anise when fresh, later fruity and in some fruit bodies, somewhat reminiscent of cheese rind."!
Roy Betts

Postby GeoffDann » Thu May 14, 2015 10:01 pm

GeoffDann

Melanoleuca verrucipes

Postby Roy Miller » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Melanoleuca verrucipes, as already suggested.

I can't help wondering if its the same locus where I found them. See my post 'First for East Sussex', that was posted on 20th July 2010
By the way they smelt incredibly strong of aniseed.

Roy M
Roy Miller

Re: Melanoleuca verrucipes

Postby GeoffDann » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:40 pm

GeoffDann

Return to Determination: what is it?