Russula, brown/cream, scaly cap - ID help please

species identification

Russula, brown/cream, scaly cap - ID help please

Postby sue mallinson » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:31 pm

Does anyone recognise this russula please? In grass under Quercus robur, on National Trust parkland. Cap peeled to half way, gills cream, no spore print (as yet, collected yesterday) stem grey/white, smell rancid 'spermatic' esp in the older specimen. Taste of gills mild then became hot. R virescens is the only 'cracked' russula in my books, but it's supposed to be green. Or, looks like plate 9 in Roger Kibby's The Genus Russula, but the description says 'white velar patches' on cap, which I can't find on any of my specimens. Any ideas?
Attachments
Russula01.jpg
Russula01.jpg (232.23 KiB) Viewed 10411 times
Russula02.jpg
Russula02.jpg (220.64 KiB) Viewed 10411 times
Russula03.jpg
Russula03.jpg (227.26 KiB) Viewed 10411 times
sue mallinson

Re: Russula, brown/cream, scaly cap - ID help please

Postby Roy Betts » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:15 am

I think you will find that the 'scales' are made from the brown gluten which covers the cap.
You should be able to get to the right area if you use Kibby's synoptic key; it's under the species with orange caps.
It's in Section Ingratae: it is likely to be foetens or subfoetens. The flesh of subfoetens slowly yellows when exposed to air (or KOH), and there are other differences for which you may need a microscope.
Roy Betts

Re: Russula, brown/cream, scaly cap - ID help please

Postby sue mallinson » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Ah, thanks Roy. I tried to key it out last night and got as far as foetens , but the glutinous patches had me baffled. Have just done the KOH test, and the flesh has yellowed, so it is indeed subfoetens. Thanks again for your help, Sue
sue mallinson

Return to Determination: what is it?