[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Fungus Conservation Trust Formerly The Association of British Fungus Groups • View topic - Boletus queletii?

Boletus queletii?

species identification

Boletus queletii?

Postby GeoffDann » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 pm

bl2.JPG

bl3.JPG

bl1.JPG

Found in Brighton today. 20+ specimens in the largest group, several groups, all in association with beech.
GeoffDann

Re: Boletus queletii?

Postby Roy Miller » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:47 pm

[color=#008000][b]Roy[/b][/color]
Roy Miller

Postby GeoffDann » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Attachments
bl7.JPG
bl6.JPG
bl5.JPG
bl4.JPG
GeoffDann

Postby Leif Goodwin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:26 pm

I feel that this is not B. queletti, although I have not seen that species for a few years. The specimens I have seen had a cap that ranged from bright scarlet to orange brown. And the stem when young is yellow, then as it ages, the red spreads upwards from the base. They also do not have reticulation as I recall. And the stems were not stubby, but somewhat slender. So overall I feel that the jizz is not right. But I do not feel confident enough to say for certain, as I have only seen the species 3 or 4 times, and perhaps the ones I saw were atypical, or perhaps you have outliers.

Hopefully I have attached two images:

Frame 15 Boletus queletti.jpg

Frame 26 Boletus queletti.jpg

The first is from 1999 when I found huge numbers of the critters.
Fungi and Nature Photography:
Leif Goodwin

Postby GeoffDann » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Yeah, they do look a bit different to yours, but what else could it be? B. luridus, perhaps?

According to Phillips B. queletii is rare, but more common in southeast England with beech, which fits the bill.
GeoffDann

Postby Roy Miller » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 pm

[color=#008000][b]Roy[/b][/color]
Roy Miller

Postby GeoffDann » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:02 pm

GeoffDann

Postby Roy Betts » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:52 am

Boletus luridiformis (syn. erythropus) is a more common 'look alike' of queletii.
However, with a clear net on the stem this is surely B. luridus.
Roy Betts

Postby GeoffDann » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:43 am

I chopped up the remains of the two specimens I brought home and there did appear to be a red line between the pores and the cap.

Thanks Roy and Roy.
GeoffDann

Postby Mal Greaves » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:05 am

Having come to the discussion late I think most things have already been said but I would agree with B luridus being the most likely species. B queletii that I find (in N Yorks anyway) usually has much more colour on the cap
IMG_2152a.jpg

it also has no reticulations on the stipe but is just punctate.

Mal
Malcolm Greaves
Mal Greaves

Next

Return to Determination: what is it?