[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Fungus Conservation Trust Formerly The Association of British Fungus Groups • View topic - Observations autumn 2012

Observations autumn 2012

Is focused foraging for edible fungi justifiable?

Re: Observations autumn 2012

Postby Stuart Bates » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:40 pm

You can say whatever you like Sheila as this is an open forum and we are all entitled to our own opinions. :D

I don't think you would be "alienating" yourself from the group as I am sure there are other members on here who share your views.

Admittedly I have consumed a number of species but these days tend not to... either because they didn't live up to expectations OR because my local area is just so poor at producing anything that could be considered "choice".

I now just focus on recording what I find, although I am not against people who collect responsibly for personal consumption (as I used to do so myself).
Stuart Bates

Postby GeoffDann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:47 pm

There are some things you can eat with a completely clear conscience. I personally really like eating Armillaria mellea, for example, and I can't imagine why any right-minded conservationist would get seriously hot under the collar about me taking a few of those for my dinner. The same would apply to Russula ochroleuca, if it were worth eating.
GeoffDann

Postby Stuart Bates » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Stuart Bates

Postby Leif Goodwin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Fungi and Nature Photography:
Leif Goodwin

Postby GeoffDann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 pm

GeoffDann

Postby Dave H-Tranter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:02 am

Welll I did the foodie forage walk at the weekend and started off with the usual info on filling minds rather than bellies. The 12 in attendance understood my stance and were quite prepared to take a little and leave the many so as to keep the balance in nature right. It ended up a really nice walk, a few bits to eat, a good bit of knowledge shared and I think some new respect had for the myco world. We stuck to the 20% rule - take 1 in 5, chatted about numerous non-edibles (which was far more interesting) and I left the group with the head chef to munch happily away after cooking the grub. It is all we can do - help people understand and hopefully show them how to pick responsibly. I try!

The feedback was good so same again next year. In fact this one seemed a rather more satisfying walk than just going oput recording - worth all leaders thinking about.

Fungalpunk Dave - www.fungalpunknature.co.uk
Dave H-Tranter

Postby GeoffDann » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 pm

I have observed a clump of Pholiota squarrosa with the caps neatly chopped off, just like a Homo sapiens might do to a clump of Armillaria it fancied eating.

:geek:
GeoffDann

Postby Stuart Bates » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 am

Stuart Bates

Postby Sheila Lillie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Has anybody thought of growing there own fungi and if so what was the success rate as maybe this could be a way forward also what about some posters put up in problem areas in the relevant languages I am sure most public woodlands have notice boards at the entrance or even tape them to the tree's.I also thought maybe some of the TV programs like Autumn watch,country file ect could do an piece on the importance of not over picking ect and there are numerous magazines aimed at outdoor pursuits who may do the same if approached.

Just a thought
Sheila
Sheila Lillie

Postby GeoffDann » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 am

I've thought about trying to grow fungi, but I don't have the space at the moment. Need that for vegetables!
GeoffDann

PreviousNext

Return to Fungus foraging - the debate.